AuthorTopic: Waterfall motion  (Read 14431 times)

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Waterfall motion

on: December 15, 2015, 03:19:01 am
just in the early stages of animating this waterfall.
I feel like everything is going to hinge around the rhythm of the waves so I thought I'd ask how does this motion look at this point before I move on?
I've tried to incorporate a sort of static shimmering effect where the light is always reflecting.
the surrounding tiles r just there for context as its the canvas I'm animating in but feel free to crit (I will be adjusting bush shadows though fyi).

I'm trying not to add any more frames.
water ripples are 4 frames at half speed of the watetfall's 8 frames.

now I wonder about wave speed and frequency.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 01:52:21 pm by Decroded »

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Re: Waterfall animation

Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 04:00:54 am
looks beautiful, but i find your waterfall streams dont go as well with the style as it could.  the style is semi realistic, but the streams do not imo.  it lacks volume and instead looks like water running down waterslides.  could maybe suggest more body and naturalism.  perhaps something similar to this effect might go well with your style?

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Re: Waterfall animation

Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 05:19:26 am
Let me just start off by acknowledging that your pixel art has really become something of a marvel. Just utterly beautiful to behold. Even in just your edits here and there I find a lot of awe inspiring stuff.

Moving on, I don't quite know enough to analyze the style relative to the rest of the piece, but as far as what you've attempted to go with I'd say you've hit the nail pretty damn square on the head.
I remember Sohei making some waterfalls a little while back (here; also the WIP thread) and I'd say it's on the same vein.

If I had to give any advice at all I'd say perhaps space the falling 'wave' out more as it goes further down to give it the feel that gravity has increased it's velocity throughout the fall?
Otherwise if you do have the time, try out Friend's suggestion, because I'd love to see the result. ;D

Keep up the good work!
* may contain misinformation

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: Waterfall motion

Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 01:57:44 pm
Thanks guys those comments r helpful.
Seeing Master Sohei's waterfall makes me realise I could do it in 4 frames if I increase the frequency but haven't decided yet.

Anyway some progress and messing around with colours.

Thx to Wolfenoctis for ideas on colours.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:03:05 pm by Decroded »

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 02:43:17 pm
nice color variation in the last one, makes the waterfall pop up so much more!
What i dont like, and what friend mentioned as well, the falls look like flat bands, something water normally wouldnt look like, especially rolling down on rocky surfaces like that. I'd try to break up the straight lines, make some rocks poke through the water, have it run down the structure of the cliff to make it more interesting and believable.
I don't have time right now, but i'll try to give it a spin later. its just too tempting :D

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 15, 2015, 08:22:59 pm
omg this looks awesome! :O

I think the darkest version is the best because it makes it look more "natural" as water isn't normally so bright (or at least I don't think so. correct me if I'm wrong)
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 15, 2015, 10:51:49 pm
omg this looks awesome! :O

I think the darkest version is the best because it makes it look more "natural" as water isn't normally so bright (or at least I don't think so. correct me if I'm wrong)

depends on many things, maybe most importantly lighting conditions, ie sunlight

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 08:26:51 am
Yeah, I also think the dark version looks the best, because of how good the contrast between the waterfall and still water is. Looks super cool.

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Reply #8 on: December 16, 2015, 06:49:50 pm
I like the very left. I feel the dark contrasts a bit too much with the lighter grass and conveys a different atmosphere opposed to the grass. I feel like the darker water color would look better in a shaded grove or a nighttime area.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 16, 2015, 10:25:42 pm
I like the very left. I feel the dark contrasts a bit too much with the lighter grass and conveys a different atmosphere opposed to the grass. I feel like the darker water color would look better in a shaded grove or a nighttime area.

I agree. but i think if the grass had heavy detail like in seiken  densetsu 3 the dark blue would be great.