AuthorTopic: (C+C) First actual project!  (Read 2479 times)

Offline TwentyThree

• View Profile

(C+C) First actual project!

on: December 14, 2015, 08:36:18 pm
Hi, I just wanted some critique on my first pixel art. I mean, I like it, but what do people other than my immediate friends think?

edit: It was done in Paint, cause I'm not sure if I want to continue drawing this kind of art yet.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 08:43:53 pm by TwentyThree »

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Re: (C+C) First actual project!

Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 09:01:19 pm
Not bad although the wood looks like stone :D
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 14, 2015, 10:48:32 pm
welcome & nice effort  :y:
some observations...

Looks like you've jumped straight into pixel level texturing too early which has made everything look flat like a cardboard cutout.
for example the trunk has no cylindrical feel to it.
the light source is not clear so pick one (from top left works for me).
then paint over the light and dark to build a rounded shape (dont make the transition from light and dark too gradual, looks better when more sudden).
now u have this basic form u can distort the line between light and dark to build some details like roots twisting up into the trunk, and leave surface texture to last.
u dont actually need to texture the whole surface this way as there's only some parts where the light hits and texture is more obvious.
so when u apply texture, be selective and only use a few colours from nearby instead of ur whole ramp or u will flatten the form again.

hope this makes sense  ;D

Offline TwentyThree

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 14, 2015, 11:01:09 pm
welcome & nice effort  :y:
some observations...

Looks like you've jumped straight into pixel level texturing too early which has made everything look flat like a cardboard cutout.
for example the trunk has no cylindrical feel to it.
the light source is not clear so pick one (from top left works for me).
then paint over the light and dark to build a rounded shape (dont make the transition from light and dark too gradual, looks better when more sudden).
now u have this basic form u can distort the line between light and dark to build some details like roots twisting up into the trunk, and leave surface texture to last.
u dont actually need to texture the whole surface this way as there's only some parts where the light hits and texture is more obvious.
so when u apply texture, be selective and only use a few colours from nearby instead of ur whole ramp or u will flatten the form again.

hope this makes sense  ;D

That actually does make sense, thanks  ::)

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 06:20:23 am
but what do people other than my immediate friends think?
I think you copied an extremely popular, but flawed pixel art tutorial to make this. :P
I'd suggest doing some trees by studying from life. You'll learn a lot more. Studying pixel art is good for learning pixel techniques, but you'll pick up any bad habits the artists have, too, if you're just starting out and not looking out for them. The person you copied has a habit of making everything look very flat. Now your tree looks very flat. Google some pictures of real trees. Real life won't lie to you! ;)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 04:21:57 am by jams0988 »