AuthorTopic: Bulma Portrait  (Read 2102 times)

Offline uok

• View Profile

Bulma Portrait

on: December 10, 2015, 01:45:08 pm
A quick Bulma portrait. I draw it with all the haste I could muster, still it took one and a half hour  >:(

Offline MikePixel

• View Profile

Re: Bulma Portrait

Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 09:30:25 pm
Its got potential to be pretty cute. I'd get rid of the shadows under her eyes though, makes it look like they're floating on top of her head instead of being inside her skull.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #2 on: December 11, 2015, 10:06:17 am
Why do you focus on how long it took to make? For pieces that large, I usually take upwards of 10 hours, but it really doesn't matter how long it took. If anything, being proud that you rushed it is a negative, not a positive.

Anyway, for the piece itself:

Linework is decent, except in a few areas, such as the jawline being a bit weak and irregular. The palette is probably fine, though I'm not sure I like the yellowish tint to the skin, it's just a bit sickly. The shading is not very volumetric, you could work on that a bit more probably, though there's already a solid start there.

The main issue is banding. There's banding going on everywhere and it really detracts from the quality of the piece, making it even look blurry in areas like the eyes. Read up on banding here: http://www.pixel.schlet.net/

Offline uok

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 11:57:31 am
Thank you both for the feedback. I've made this right after the Goku portrait - which took about four hours - and was trying to see how fast I could do it, I'm not really sad about that  :)
I really do have problems with my palette though, I have some pencil drawing experience but never worked with color before, ever. Now I'm gonna read up on this banding issue and try to make an wavy sea gif to train I guess.