AuthorTopic: My first pixel art character  (Read 3971 times)

Offline Cosmic

• View Profile

My first pixel art character

on: December 06, 2015, 04:04:55 am
This is my first time at making pixel art and wanted some tips.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2015, 04:35:23 am by Cosmic »

Offline tpendle

• View Profile

Re: My first pixel art character

Reply #1 on: December 06, 2015, 06:38:43 pm
Hi Cosmic,

Okay so I'm not a bit of a novice so I cant give you loads of advice on colours, style, skills etc..

What I can do though is point out that the way you've drawn this is a bit strange :p you've used actual pixels to try an "build" bigger pixels? As in, some of your "pixel blocks" are 3x3 pixels, others are 4x3, its all a bit confusing. Did you draw this and then scale it up in another program? Even your background isn't transparent, it literally grey and white blocks put together :p

You should create your pixel art at a fixed resolution and make the best of each pixel. For this case, try drawing your character again on a blank canvas of 20 pixels wide and 30 pixels high for starters.

Another tip: you dont have to scale your art. Just upload it at its original resolution and we can just click on it to zoom in ourselves :)

Offline Cosmic

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: December 06, 2015, 10:31:16 pm
thank you for feedback, the reason it might look over scaled is because i just took a picture of it since photoshop wont let me save it as a png. probably something to do with the settings of the project. i'll redo it in the size you recommended. :) thank you 

Offline Cosmic

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 04:36:24 am
I uploaded a better image does it look any better?

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 05:23:43 am
Looks ok on my phone.
photoshop should let us "save a copy" as png.
But u dont need to save to post here, just copy and past to www.imgur.com and it will create a link u can past here (inside img tags).
I recommend working against a flat 50% bright grey background instead of transparent because it copy and pastes properly and also helps sprites get good colour balance and outlines.

Offline Cosmic

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 07, 2015, 05:31:18 am
I sorted the issue with photoshop, Thanks for the advice. I'll work with 50% bright grey background while making sprites.

Offline tpendle

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 08:57:14 pm
Much better, Cosmic!

You'll have to hope for someone more skilled to come along now for help on the artistic side :p But for a first character this is pretty good! I could picture this in a small smartphone game or something.

Offline Cosmic

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 09:09:08 pm
Thanks for the feedback, it did help a lot :) I am going to use pixel art for a game i'm working on.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 12:04:50 am
I don't really like this style I have to say it looks like it needs work.
for example I don't like the 45 degree angles on his hair it doesn't look natural.
I'd like to see some more effort put into his pose, working out some of those interior black outlines, colour and character design.

its one thing if ur really going for this kind of style but if ur new to pixel art I'd encourage u to look at much more quality sprites as well as photo reference and try to learn.

Offline Cosmic

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 12:12:44 am
Thank you for the feedback Decroded, i'm working on making my art better. It's the first time i tried making anything in pixel art but i'm always looking for tips and help making it better :)