AuthorTopic: The Darkness ending tribute  (Read 6310 times)

Offline Phoenix849

• olegklishinart
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/45959.htm
    • View Profile
    • olegklishin.com

The Darkness ending tribute

on: October 02, 2015, 06:43:12 pm
This is a piece I made some time ago, a tribute to the The Darkness (Starbreeze game). It has the most sad ending I've ever seen in games, makes me cry every time. I'm relatively happy with it, but color palette is definitely a mess. I mostly picked colors from my ref and the scene looks pretty dull.

Here's the reference:

I'd like to ask for some help about coloring of this piece. How can I make this more pleasant for the eyes as a pixel scene while maintaining feel and atmosphere of the moment? I also dislike my dithering on the sky but haven't found a way to make a decent gradient there.
Art portfolio and social media links: olegklishin.com

Offline Maligo

• View Profile

Re: The Darkness ending tribute

Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 01:37:19 pm
This is a piece I made some time ago, a tribute to the The Darkness (Starbreeze game). It has the most sad ending I've ever seen in games, makes me cry every time. I'm relatively happy with it, but color palette is definitely a mess. I mostly picked colors from my ref and the scene looks pretty dull.

Here's the reference:

I'd like to ask for some help about coloring of this piece. How can I make this more pleasant for the eyes as a pixel scene while maintaining feel and atmosphere of the moment? I also dislike my dithering on the sky but haven't found a way to make a decent gradient there.
I'm not pro pixelartist, but I think u need to make earth lighter and give to (lamp)light better dissolve.
P.S. My eng is not good, but I hope u understand me :p
My English is not good. Please, Correct me if you can c:

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 01:24:04 am
it'll be hard to recreate the scene given your size, and using the same colors as the ref pic.  The ref pic has pretty low contrast to distinguish the important features.  In fact, even in the ref, seeing jackie and his girlfriend is pretty hard. 

You're going to have to play with color a lot if you intend to make this readable. 

Offline Phoenix849

• olegklishinart
    • View Profile
    • olegklishin.com

Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 10:37:50 am
Well, thanks for the comments. Maybe it's not worth it to mess with this anymore, so I should just move on.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 10:41:40 am
I agree with Friend and Maligo.

The contrast is very extreme in the original image. There is almost what appears to be a light gold color on the dirt foreground. Some of the dark colors look pure black. Maybe you can use black or as close as black as possible to match the contrast of the original and add more detail.

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 04:27:53 pm
Here's the small edit. I think that your fence is too dominant on bright sky background, I've used leaf color to make them brighter, try so solve sky problem in different way and reduce colors you put into it (at least visually probably there's some left over pixels). It's not perfect but maybe it will help with thinking process. :)

Offline Phoenix849

• olegklishinart
    • View Profile
    • olegklishin.com

Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 12:03:08 pm
Here's the small edit...
Finally remembered to fix this. I think I'm relatively happy with it now. Thanks a lot for inspiration.

Offline HarveyDentMustDie

• I dream too much.
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art

Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 01:55:04 pm
I'm glad it was helpful. :)

Offline Nr. 2698

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 03:22:53 pm

Like this pic a lot...like the colours

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 12:10:01 am
I feel like the trees could use less contrast against sky where bloom is causing light to bleed.
with the effect being relevant to the varying levels of brightness in the gradient.

some kind of subtle colour separation could be added to the person lying down to pop them out of background a little.