AuthorTopic: Boat Game Mockup  (Read 2409 times)

Offline spO_oks

• View Profile

Boat Game Mockup

on: November 29, 2015, 02:04:26 pm
Hi Everyone!

First time posting some of my own stuff on here :O

I've been working on a little boat game mockup, that I intend to turn into a simple distance/last as long as you can type game, I'm thinking you bounce back and forth between different 'lanes' dodging obstacles and killing enemies. It's nothing original or special just something for me to practice making a full game end to end, I have lots more adventurous ideas but just want something that I can actually complete :P

I'm a developer but I LOVE pixel art so have been practising trying to get good at it. Have done a few other bits and pieces but nothing that I've used for anything.

Semi happy with what I have here but it doesn't feel quite right(leaving out the game overlay for now, lives, score etc, as I haven't 100% decided on what the gameplay is yet), not sure about the colour of my sea or the clouds, they worked better with an earlier iteration, but not sure how to tweak them now. Pretty happy with my boats birds and people and though!

Oh, btw, this is my most favourite forum, you guys are awesome!

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Re: Boat Game Mockup

Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 10:48:25 pm
Haha looks good! :D (I really like those clouds!)

The peaks of the mast looks weird with only having one pixel.
I don't know what this white thing in the middle is / I can't really read it
The transition from sea to horizont looks kinda weird.
The sun doesn't look right to me, maybe adding some sun shines or something like that
The thrown thing looks kinda weird (maybe because of its positioning)
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline spO_oks

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 01:15:23 pm
Thanks for the feedback Pusty!

I've tried to address the masts, I re did the rock in the middle to look more rocky/mini icebergy, tweaked with the horizon. I tweaked the clouds too, I think they fit better with everything now.

I also went nuts and changed the sky and sea colour quite a bit and added in some reflections to the water to try and break up the straight line dividing the sky and sea and add a bit more interest to the water.

The thrown thing is a knife from the guy on the left, I was trying to do a spin effect, but if I put it where the clouds are then it gets lost, not sure how to make it stand out more, I tried an outline on it but it didn't feel right. I gave it a shadow anyway!

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 07:35:52 pm
Amazing! Looks way better then before! Not sure if the rock/mini iceberg is readable tho'
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline spO_oks

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 03:13:34 pm
Thanks!

Gonna start whipping this game up, any more feedback is greatly appreciated :)

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 08:25:13 pm
looks super good! Loving everything about it, but the only thing that bugs me is that everything has a black outline except the birds, maybe they should have a black outline then too. :)