AuthorTopic: Bricks  (Read 3492 times)

Offline TheBigBang

• View Profile

Bricks

on: November 25, 2015, 08:50:29 am
Hey guys!
What do you think about these bricks? Ofc, it isnt finished yet but how does it look so far? I'll post another things from whole picture when they are ready.
Thank you for your comments.

E: original canvas size is 500x250
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 08:53:46 am by TheBigBang »

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: Bricks

Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 03:37:19 pm
The highlights on your "bricks" suggest that they are noticeably rounded, which bricks are not (some stone buildings are made out of stones like that, but red bricks are almost universally shaped to have flat sides). The only highlights one might see on a brick are tiny details (inappropriate for most pixel art) and a highlight running along one of the sides if the mortar is very shallow (quite common to depict in pixel art, but not necessary).

Here's an image of a very textured (probably old), sunlit brick wall I found. Look at the highlights. Notice how none of them are like your rounded ones, even though these are weathered, rough bricks. All the highlights either run along an edge, or follow the entire face of the brick (where the brick is angled in a way that reflects the sun towards the camera).

Your bricks on the side of the building (presumably seen in profile) are too textured. It's okay to give them a "smooth" profile, you don't have room to give them a real broken silhouette because of the scale you're working with. If there's anywhere that you can indent, it's the mortar between the bricks. You can suggest the texture with appropriate placement of light and shadow (and, if possible in your constraints, AA).

Also, bricks don't just suddenly stop interlocking between walls. The walls should be interlocked! So, from profile, you'd see some bricks reaching to the end of the wall, and the butts of bricks from the other wall (the butts look identical to half-bricks). One of the strengths of brick is that they help create strong corners via this interlocking. Visual example.

Offline TheBigBang

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 06:07:30 pm
Yup. At least it's more simple.

I'll make some ruff texture to it later by removing some light-parts.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 03:12:59 am
u dont need to highlight every brick.
likewise it isn't a requirement to have the dark line between every brick, u can be artistic and have patches of line and patches where its smoother.
some bricks pop out a little more than others and some are a little more receded, some are slightly off-angle so part receives some highlight and part receives a hint of shadow.

its good to experiment and find the level of unevenness that suits ur setting.

Offline TheBigBang

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 10:00:39 am
likewise it isn't a requirement to have the dark line between every brick, u can be artistic and have patches of line and patches where its smoother.

Thanks for tips! I still didn't get that patch of line thing? Have you any example?

Like I said, I removed light-parts later.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 05:48:44 pm
Your building is 1.5 bricks wide, that's how many bricks you have on the side. Is that intentional?

Offline TheBigBang

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 06:32:53 pm
Your building is 1.5 bricks wide, that's how many bricks you have on the side. Is that intentional?
It isn't a building. It's a chimney. Milieu will be early 20th century's coast town.

Offline TheBigBang

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 12:10:44 pm
Added some texture (is that "right way" to do so?) and made chimney hats. What do you think?

Edit: a little bit bigger version:

Did I over do it?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 07:14:29 pm by TheBigBang »

Offline TheBigBang

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 28, 2015, 06:07:23 pm
Hi guys!

Now, I'm making a roof which is covered by patina. Which is the best? Edit if you have a better idea, please.

edit: I'm streaming right know, so, if you want. Come to say hi!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 06:09:23 pm by TheBigBang »