AuthorTopic: i feel silly  (Read 2787 times)

Offline hate

• i'm not really here
    • View Profile
    • WWW.ILOVENEWORK.FR

i feel silly

on: September 15, 2006, 12:06:49 pm
i'm in pixel stuff for about 5 years and i just discovered today PROMOTION. amazing. the amount of time you can gain with that tool, but i realized that is was kind of cheating... i understand now how people make amzing things with these kind of tools, i always thought that they made it always pixel by pixel. a little bit disappointed but hey. made this in about half an hour playing with different tools to see what i could do with this program, it would have taken hours on mspaint...

but is this still really pixel art? using auto anti aliasing, darken/brighten tools and all that... i'm still wondering. keep it real?
WWW.ILOVENEWORK.FR

Offline robotriot

• Tubby mechanical friend
    • View Profile
    • robotriot

Re: i feel silly

Reply #1 on: September 15, 2006, 12:11:05 pm
No, you don't use auto anti-aliasing and all that stuff in Pro Motion. You still place every pixel by hand. It's just a lot easier to use than MSPaint for example.
WELCOME TO BATTLE SQUADRON

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 12:15:48 pm
Haha, what do you consider cheating. Yes, Promotion has auto-aa, and yes it has tools that could be considered cheating. But most people I know (including me) don't use them for pixelart. The aa i can do by hand is way superior to the auto aa function any time. Auto aa is awesome for index painting lowcolour textures tho (for stuff like doom or quake).
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 12:19:38 pm
As you can see from your example piece of work, regardless of all the extra modes in promo, to arrive at clean and tidy pixel art, it will always require a lot of manual pixelpushing.

Offline Andy Tran

• View Profile
    • The City of Andy Tran

Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 08:34:57 pm
Haha, what do you consider cheating. Yes, Promotion has auto-aa, and yes it has tools that could be considered cheating. But most people I know (including me) don't use them for pixelart. The aa i can do by hand is way superior to the auto aa function any time. Auto aa is awesome for index painting lowcolour textures tho (for stuff like doom or quake).

Yep, I agree with you. You should do aa instead of auto aa. I used to use Pro Motion. You don't need the tools to do the job for you, you can have the responsibility. It's not a good idea, heh.