AuthorTopic: [CC] Lots of ARPG Landscape Stuff  (Read 6907 times)

Offline RujiK

• View Profile

[CC] Lots of ARPG Landscape Stuff

on: November 24, 2015, 06:45:03 pm
Programmer/Pixel artist soloist here. Here is some art from my current game:

I'm not really super-pleased with the colors anymore and I'm hoping for pointers or one of those awesome miracle edits. A completely new palette or a few tweaks are welcome ideas. I kinda want more color variation (As in grass is yellow, green, and blue instead of just green) but I also kinda want less colors (as in total colors). Maybe I've just looked at it too long but I need some trained eyes.

Also any other feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Re: [CC] Lots of ARPG Landscape Stuff

Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 08:20:34 pm
Well I like these colors , they look very foggy and swampy

But anyways, looks very good! I really like the water and plants!
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline RujiK

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 05:35:57 pm
Thanks Pusty! ..But I'm still not sure I am content so I tried an extreme makeover using Dawnbringers color palette.

(Top is still pretty WIP. Done in a few hours.)

They're SUPER different, but is one better than the other, or should I maybe combine them? If you prefer one to the other, how strongly do you prefer it?

Offline coldmage

• Chalkrobot
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 06:17:57 pm
Personally, I like the milder colors more,BUT I think it would be better if you made it a tad less mild, especially on the character.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 06:30:41 pm
I'm with coldmage. I think more subtle colours suit your style of detail more, you just need to tweak them a little.
Since you want more hue variation but fewer colours, maybe the "solution" is to be smart with your hue-shifting, which might lead to more reusable colours.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 11:01:36 pm
original style of colours give a nice atmosphere and also more unique which is important.
then change the (golem?) sprite to use stronger colours so it pops out a bit.

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 26, 2015, 02:43:18 am
The original colors are definitely better.  I especially like how your grass is very mild.

Dawnbringer's palette isn't really designed for this kind of art.  It is designed for much darker art (using lots of black) and thus is better suited to games that don't have a lot of grass (such as side-scrollers).

Offline wzl

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 26, 2015, 06:33:45 am
Here are my thoughts:
Your palette seems much more connected, everything seems to rest in the same world. I think the contrast could be a little higher but that's a personal thing.
With the DB palette everything looks more pronounced individually, but it does look like each prop was made individually as well without regard to the rest of it.

Also i didnt realise the golem at all until decroded mentioned it

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 26, 2015, 08:08:31 am
Also i didnt realise the golem at all until decroded mentioned it
haha yeah hence in projects like this its generally good for sprites to pretty much use a different palette from the background (not that I personally worry about "palettes" much I just keep the count down).

I think tiles can use some slightly increased contrast but I think this should be done selectively and for reasons such as helping define planes and solids against each other.
I didn't mention earlier because the tiles are actually quite noisy as we see in DB palette, but subdued contrast hides this well (as well as nice atmosphere).

Offline RujiK

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 02:20:42 pm
Thanks for the advice guys. As suggested, I'll Stick with the original colors BUT with a slight contrast increase.

Could I get some tips for the player dude? Like how to make him looks LESS like a golem? It's supposed to be a person. Here he is up close.