AuthorTopic: Equip slot icons. Advice?  (Read 1910 times)

Offline IncorrigibleBoozehound

• View Profile

Equip slot icons. Advice?

on: November 22, 2015, 09:49:38 pm
I want a metal filigree look. I want to add detail but I'm worried it will ruin the readability of the icons. Eventually there will be a ring and belt icon as well.

Offline DracoDragon42

• @DracoDragon42
    • View Profile

Re: Equip slot icons. Advice?

Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 10:38:56 pm
I say make a new doc that is a copy and edit details in and see how it looks. I would also add shading similar to how Pokemon gym badges are shaded.I don't know what you're doing with it, but I would add more colors to it too. Looking good though: )

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 11:26:57 pm
I am having a hard time reading these icons even as-is, because the decorative bits (the box with the X and the frame) have the same line quality as the illustrative bits. I can't tell at all what the last one is meant to be. By method of elimination my guess is shield or foot (just one foot?).

The way metal filigree keeps detail like this is by giving certain things different patina, effectively giving certain parts a darker value. Another way it's done is by having more or less detail in some areas, which is another way of creating different values. You could do the same with yours.
Don't be afraid to leave some areas relatively flat for easier readability. You need just enough of the metal look for the thing to look metal, it doesn't all have to be faithfully metallic.

Offline alanxoc3

• Adults die young.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 12:40:37 am
I actually think that you could have more readability if the items contained within the border were colored in, because that would make it stand out from the frame.