AuthorTopic: [WIP] Medieval Well - need help  (Read 7803 times)

Offline chulanbetra

• View Profile

[WIP] Medieval Well - need help

on: November 21, 2015, 12:33:53 am
Hello, i'm new to pixel art and still learning. I am trying to draw a pixel art medieval well and this is my progress so far:

I am quite happy with the bottom part (the rocks), but if you see something bad let me know. I cannot say the same for the top part - the wooden cover. I have hard time making it to look like a wood. I don't know if it is the palette problem or form, i suppose both. The thing is, the parts like wooden handle or the poles and the roof parts are really small and i can't get them look like wood.

Some additional info:
- The light source is 'behind left shoulder', like in Secret of Mana or othe jRPG.
- The palette for the bottom part is inspired by neutral colors from Adarias
- I don't mind having the colors a bit more saturated on the wooden part (again Secret of Mana 3 as example).

Thanks in advance for feedback and tips.

Offline alanxoc3

• Adults die young.
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] Medieval Well - need help

Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 12:21:51 am
Maybe a more simplistic approach to the roof would work better. I don't know it you like this, but a design with planks may work better. Also your colors were a bit bright/off for not being directly in the light source.

Offline chulanbetra

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 12:54:20 am
Thank you very much, this might work and i can get more detail to bigger planks than to small if i need to. I will try to make it this way, thanks for help.

Offline alanxoc3

• Adults die young.
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 05:16:43 am
No prob. I'm excited to see what it looks like when it when you're done with it.

Offline IncorrigibleBoozehound

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 08:03:49 am
I would have the roof cast a shadow over part of the well. I would also make the posts go into the ground on either side instead of inexplicably into stone.

Make the unevenness of the stone evident at the sides by having some stones stick out a pixel or two more than their neighbors.

That should help it look less "flat".

Offline jams0988

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 08:38:12 am
Three seconds on Google would've made your post a little better, hound. Stone wells "inexplicably" have the posts going into the stone all the time. It's like humans have a magical power to break through rock or something. =P

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 09:03:37 am
Three seconds on Google would've made your post a little better, hound. Stone wells "inexplicably" have the posts going into the stone all the time. It's like humans have a magical power to break through rock or something. =P

Sure, but there isn't a lot of room here to make it look convincing.

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 09:08:46 am

Changed posts. Roof casts shadow over well and crank. Emphasized shadow of well rim overhang.

EDIT: Crank shaft is held in place like a real well now. Wouldn't want it sliding out.

EDIT: Improved highlights/shadows on new parts slightly.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:53:00 am by IncorrigibleBoozehound »

Offline Rhubarbist

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 11:19:02 am
Look into hue shifting and using slightly more saturated colours. I've done a quick recolouring, all I did was change colours, but I think it's an improvement. It might just be personal taste, but it's up to you what aesthetic you want to go with.

Offline chulanbetra

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 07:35:37 pm
Thanks for all tips guys.

IncorrigibleBoozehound: I was considering the option of having posts in ground instead of well stones. I saw both types of well in real photos. Now when i see your edit i am thinking it might be better because of that shadows on the well stones,  it is really nice. I will probably move the poles closer to the well, something like this

Rhubarbist: Yes i am aware of this, i just used more neutral colors. I am not skilled in choosing good color palette and i didn't want to choose weird colors because of my low skill. I like the middle one it looks great.