AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Perspective of Human Form  (Read 3638 times)

Offline TheReaper9456

• View Profile

[WIP][C+C] Perspective of Human Form

on: November 16, 2015, 07:59:09 am
Hey everyone. I know this isn't much of even progress towards a complete piece of art (which is intended to eventually become a full sprite sheet for animation) and I'm a beginner to pixel art in general, but I was hoping someone here could help me with perspective with human forms. I'm having some serious difficulty, even upon studying and studying perspective and shapes and proportions of the body.

This is my current outline for the piece I'm working on, and I'm looking for a critique on the proportions (given the perspective I'm intending). I feel like the biggest issue right now are the arms. I've spent more time doing them over and over and over just to try and get them remotely right, and I'm still not sure if the proportions are correct, so I figure I'd get some more experienced opinions. Also, the red line is going to be the handle of a scythe she is to hold, which I put there to help line up her arms.

I'm using this mannequin-like form to eventually go over with clothes. I'd really like to know if you think this guys is a good or bad method or if I should just try to design the clothes on the art as I'm doing it. I just think it "might" be easier to do it this way. Not sure - new to this.

Sorry if I'm a bit wordy. I'll just shut up and let you guys take a look and see if you can offer me some help. Thanks :P

EDIT: Yes, I know I have jaggies - this is just a crude outline. >_>
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 08:01:31 am by TheReaper9456 »

Offline dpixel

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/20306.htm
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] Perspective of Human Form

Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 04:34:29 pm
I'm no expert at this, but I made an attempt to fix some things by the method of "what looks right"  lol
I also found the crotch area seemed off too.
Hope this helps a bit.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 05:14:40 pm
What exactly are we looking at here? Do you have a referance that you are building off of? What is she holding? You talk about perspective but where are you perspective lines? :-\

Offline TheReaper9456

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 07:21:30 pm
What exactly are we looking at here? Do you have a referance that you are building off of? What is she holding? You talk about perspective but where are you perspective lines? :-\

I don't really have a reference, other than some drawings I found off the internet. And I said in my OP that she's eventually going to be holding a scythe. The purpose of this silhouette was to have a base to start building the character off of. I figured it would be easier to draw her naked, then adjust as I add clothes. I wanted to get her general pose anatomically correct based on the perspective that you look at her at.

What I mean is that, from the way she's standing the arm on the left side of the screen should appear a certain way considering it is "farther" away. Same with the leg on the left - while the rest of her is supposed to be closer. Though I'm not really sure what you mean by "perspective lines"...

I'm no expert at this, but I made an attempt to fix some things by the method of "what looks right"  lol
I also found the crotch area seemed off too.
Hope this helps a bit.

Yeah, I actually think this looks better. I'm gonna have to adjust the crotch area as I go along anyways, but I think her hand placement is better with your edit probably. Thanks :P

Offline 32

• @AngusDoolan
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/19827.htm
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 11:45:53 pm
The biggest issues anatomy wise are indeed the arms and the crotch. The crotch needs to be higher. And none of the arm segments match in length. Forearms and upper arms are roughly the same length and the full length of the arm should reach to somewhere around the upper thigh.

Your pose is quite odd, what is the back arm doing? I highly recommend either finding a reference image on the internet and following it closely or taking a photo of yourself in the correct pose and using that. You can't learn the human figure without looking at it.

In most cases I would draw the figure naked like this roughly first and then draw the clothes over that, I wouldn't completely finish the naked drawing and then add the clothes, that's just an unnecessary waste of time. I would suggest being a lot looser at this stage, you shouldn't be worried about clean lines right now. Try painting the forms with a brush and carving them into the right shapes rather than drawing outlines, it is much quicker.

Don't worry about perspective, in terms of a normal figure you usually wouldn't expect for any parts to be smaller unless you are using very extreme perspective which is totally unnecessary for a sprite. You may want to treat the camera as though it is tilted in some way but that's really as far as you need to worry about perspective for a sprite.

This drawing is probably way too big to animate, especially for a beginner. If that is your goal I would suggest dramatically reducing it's size. Somewhere around 64 pixels tall would be the largest I would go.

Great start ;D

Offline TheReaper9456

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 01:03:34 am
The biggest issues anatomy wise are indeed the arms and the crotch. The crotch needs to be higher. And none of the arm segments match in length. Forearms and upper arms are roughly the same length and the full length of the arm should reach to somewhere around the upper thigh.

Your pose is quite odd, what is the back arm doing? I highly recommend either finding a reference image on the internet and following it closely or taking a photo of yourself in the correct pose and using that. You can't learn the human figure without looking at it.

In most cases I would draw the figure naked like this roughly first and then draw the clothes over that, I wouldn't completely finish the naked drawing and then add the clothes, that's just an unnecessary waste of time. I would suggest being a lot looser at this stage, you shouldn't be worried about clean lines right now. Try painting the forms with a brush and carving them into the right shapes rather than drawing outlines, it is much quicker.

Don't worry about perspective, in terms of a normal figure you usually wouldn't expect for any parts to be smaller unless you are using very extreme perspective which is totally unnecessary for a sprite. You may want to treat the camera as though it is tilted in some way but that's really as far as you need to worry about perspective for a sprite.

This drawing is probably way too big to animate, especially for a beginner. If that is your goal I would suggest dramatically reducing it's size. Somewhere around 64 pixels tall would be the largest I would go.

Great start ;D

This was very insightful, thank you. I realized sometime today while working on it that it's probably way too big for a sprite, so I decided to turn this piece into just an overview of the character so I can design it and then redo it as an actual sprite. Also, the back arm is reaching back to grab the handle. Imagine if she had a sword sheath on her back which she's pulling out from behind her. That's basically the same position I'm going for here.

And I realized I need more references, so I've been doing poses and trying to find stuff online to work off of. Right now I'm just working on costume design so I can start adding it to the piece and then adjust whatever I need as I go along.

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 01:12:44 am
Dang, you are reworking it?

Well I'll go ahead and post the edit that I did. Hopefully this gives you an idea of what direction to go.

Offline TheReaper9456

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 01:55:54 am
Dang, you are reworking it?

Well I'll go ahead and post the edit that I did. Hopefully this gives you an idea of what direction to go.

I just meant that I'm adding clothes slowly and just trying to adjust the positions and lengths of the arms and stuff. As for the sprites - that's just another project for later basically. I appreciate the edit too though, helps me get a better idea of her anatomy. Thanks

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 03:09:27 am
seems pretty big for a sprite sheet
or r u going to reduce it for the animation?

Offline TheReaper9456

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 03:37:26 am
seems pretty big for a sprite sheet
or r u going to reduce it for the animation?

Yeah I said so in the following post:

This was very insightful, thank you. I realized sometime today while working on it that it's probably way too big for a sprite, so I decided to turn this piece into just an overview of the character so I can design it and then redo it as an actual sprite. Also, the back arm is reaching back to grab the handle. Imagine if she had a sword sheath on her back which she's pulling out from behind her. That's basically the same position I'm going for here.

And I realized I need more references, so I've been doing poses and trying to find stuff online to work off of. Right now I'm just working on costume design so I can start adding it to the piece and then adjust whatever I need as I go along.