AuthorTopic: [WIP] Clouds  (Read 5021 times)

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Clouds

Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 02:30:31 am
Sorry, by cut out light I meant the light coming from the the cloud. My light is supposed to be coming from 180 degrees facing the clouds if that makes sense now. So basically the moon is my light source.

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 02:48:04 am
180 degrees facing the clouds, does that mean it's lighting from the front (that is, the moon is behind the viewer)? That would explain why you're having a hard time, front lighting is the hardest to make look good, since it flattens the forms. If it's an option, I recommend having the light some from somewhere to the side, so that the forms can be more clearly shown. That would probably help your foreground too.

I forgot to respond to the previous image - I think it looks better, it reads much more like "here are lots of clouds" without any mysterious features. I think your 3rd lightest colour could stand to be a little lighter. It contrasts too much with the 2nd lightest colour, but has almost no contrast with the 4th lightest. That may make it easier for you to produce smooth gradations.

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 03:19:01 am
I changed the color like you suggested and I must say it looks a lot better to me.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 04:32:42 am
if the light comes more from viewers angle, there wouldn't be so much concentration of light in top centre.
cast the rays in ur mind, it would be brighter on things that are closer than things that are futher, and brighter on things that are higher (relative to world not camera) than things that are lower.
Things nearer centre of view may reflect a bit more light but nowhere near the extent we see here so the effect would be more subtle, more about creating the effect of darkening towards the outside than a sudden bright patch in the middle.

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 06:26:15 am
Okay I will try to make it less bright in the center, and even darker on the outside?