AuthorTopic: New art from a new guy  (Read 3131 times)

Offline Th3DankOn3

• View Profile

New art from a new guy

on: November 15, 2015, 04:07:51 pm
Hello, I am quite new here, sorry if this is a duplicate post I just wanted to start fresh, I've started to dabble in pixel art and I would like feedback on this character, I wanted to use a limited color palette for the character so I can keep myself contained. I use paint.net and the image is 64x64

(Here is a second version I did)

« Last Edit: November 15, 2015, 04:20:18 pm by Th3DankOn3 »

Offline Th3DankOn3

• View Profile

Re: New art from a new guy

Reply #1 on: November 15, 2015, 06:39:25 pm
Anyone? Any input?

Offline Roach

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 10:39:09 am
I really like it. Things I would change are how his poncho thing fits around him. As you should be able to see some depth of his drape. Also you don't really need to worry about making folds in the leather, as leather most leather/hide doesn't fold like normal cloth. which is what I am assuming it is made of.

Here is a quick edit of what I think you could to do fix it up.
You can see his poncho wrap more around him by using the space under his arms. Hope this helps.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 12:56:09 pm
what is he holding?
looks like he's about the fill his car with petrol  :lol:

Offline Th3DankOn3

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 09:07:58 pm
Lol, its supposed to be an old western six shooter, I didn't really know how to do it well at this size

Offline IncorrigibleBoozehound

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 08:25:33 pm
I definitely agree with Roach's edit, letting the poncho rest on the body naturally. Unless you're going to animate it to billow constantly.

Stick to detailing the biggest differences in shade like Roach did. This is too small to be making ripples in fabric. They look like painted spots, not shadows.

Offline jackjokezz

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: December 20, 2015, 05:46:10 am

Alrighty so DISCLAIMER: I, JaCkJoKeZ, by NO MEANS, consider myself a full fledged pixel artist, but hell, I'll throw my 2 cents in  ;D

Soo here's my advice;
  • First, the anatomy of the shoulders seemed a bit, off. So I added a pixel layer on top of the poncho to make it look like his shoulders were higher up. This, also makes his arms look more natural while keeping your style.
  • I tried fixing the shading and the draping of the poncho thing to try and make it look more natural. If I may suggest, look at some western movies online for inspiration on how light reflects on them for reference. Also, check out a game called Secret Ponchos. You might get some inspiration, even if it's not pixel art. Also Wild ARMS and Wild ARMS XF might give you some inspiration too. *PSST!*.. that one has pixel art!
  • Lastly, since the gun IS metal, and metal reflects light fairly simple, I TRIED, to emphasize the fact that the object in his hand is a pistol two ways. 1) The hand has a pixel of shading suggesting he's holding his hand outward and his index finger is on the trigger. 2) I tried shading the pistol so that the pistol go down in shades as it gets closer to the ground
  • Lastly, I tried to fix the anatomy of the legs because it was also a bit off. His legs were spread a bit too far apart so I tried keeping the pose, but less dramatically.
  • Lastly, I put his hand on his belt because well... he's a motherf#@king cowboy and it's cool  :crazy: lol. I love westerns.

I hope this mountain of text was worth at least a tiny bit of critique, other than that I like the style and colors!  :y: