AuthorTopic: Beginner Question , how do you draw character angles: 45 degrees and side view  (Read 2315 times)

Offline umen

• View Profile
Hello all
im very much total Beginner i do allot of pixel drawing but only front view of characters,
my question is how do you manage to draw the same characters but facing 45 degrees or side view
and still make it look good , do you have any methods to make it easy / reliable
Thanks Allot

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile
Step 1) Look at some reference (photos are best)
Step 2) Try to draw something (a character roughly 64pixels high is best IMO)
Step 3) Post it here for help (don't be embarrased)
Step 4) Record your progess as you make further attempts (e.g. duplicate layer every so often and continue editing)

Also watch some videos on how to draw realistic anatomy and gestures.
Sometimes it can be good to fail at something first then go and do the study, tutorials etc because then its more meaningful and as you go along you can compare with first attempts and feel proud of the progress you've made.

To answer your original question, yes there are tricks and shortcuts but its a BAD idea to fast forward without building on a solid foundation.
Just like its a bad idea to start out learning to draw by copying stylised anime instead of learning proper anatomy.

Offline umen

• View Profile
Thanks ,
i did watch and did so many tutorials but this specific issue barely  explained .
i will post here .

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website
Specific things like this are rarely explained because understanding the broader topic of drawing characters in perspective is all you need, and there are many resources on that. Loomis's Figure Drawing book has a fairly simple, but detailed explanation of how it works, in addition to a lot of other useful things.

Teaching and learning specific topics where broader ones would do will just set an artist back and waste their time in the long run. When learning anything, don't think "this is what I need now, so this is all I will learn", think for the longer term.

Offline umen

• View Profile
Thanks allot , im downloading the books hope it will help .