AuthorTopic: [WIP] [C+C] SNES Platformer Game Tiles  (Read 3469 times)

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

[WIP] [C+C] SNES Platformer Game Tiles

on: November 07, 2015, 03:21:38 am
Hey all. I'm creating some tiles for the sidescroller game my friends and I are working on. The game is inspired by Megaman on the SNES. This is sort of a continuation of my last post found here. This isn't a level for Wrestlebot but another  level for another boss. This level or environment is a flying metal fortress. An airship of sorts.

Right now I'm using Dawnbringers 32 bit color palette and I really like it! Here's a link to the PixelJoint post about the palette.
http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=16247

This is the color palette.

It's still pretty WIP but I think I've finally done enough to get my idea across. The second larger room would probably be a boss room. What does everyone think? I'd appreciate any comments, critiques and suggestions. I think it's looking too blue and I should have a few more grays in the first room. I think it has more of a NES look than an SNES look. Is that possibly because of the palette?

I have a question about palettes. The SNES has power to push more than 32 colors on the screen right? Am I restricting myself by using this color palette. I wasn't sure how to begin a tilemap since I'm still new to this pixel art thing. Dawnbringers palette just made things simple for me and it seemed like the perfect palette to learn from. Also, there are two artist's my team and I'd like our final art to have a cohesive look and color.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 03:28:30 am by heyguy »

Offline surt

• Meat by-product
    • not_surt
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2254.htm
    • View Profile
    • Uninhabitant

Re: [WIP] [C+C] SNES Platformer Game Tiles

Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 07:36:02 am
I don't know much about SNES restriuctions, but from here it looks like the lowest colour video mode has 96, and then that's where you need multiple parallax layers.

I really don't see any value in using DB32 if you are trying to capture a SNES-like aesthetic. SNES games typically have quite vibrant colours and relatively high colour counts. Neither of which DB32 really provides.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 09:18:28 am by surt »

Offline TheUnknownVar

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 01:38:29 pm
I don't know much about SNES restriuctions, but from here it looks like the lowest colour video mode has 96, and then that's where you need multiple parallax layers.

I really don't see any value in using DB32 if you are trying to capture a SNES-like aesthetic. SNES games typically have quite vibrant colours and relatively high colour counts. Neither of which DB32 really provides.

I would have to agree with surt. The palette seems to make your art look more like a high-res nes game more so than a snes game. Have you considered making your own palette? The main thing your tiles seem to be missing is a variety in color.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 08, 2015, 10:09:59 pm
Couldn't agree more.
No time for an edit but try looking again at games like Megaman X.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 12:04:53 pm
Thanks for the replies guys! Here's a update. Still much more to do.

So I'm trying to utilize the colors better and make more interesting, colorful tiles. I've added small, different colored lights, gray/green tiles and more. What does everyone think? Any tips would be helpful.

I didn't really think about making my own palette but I guess I can. I kind of just wanted to jump in, make some artwork and not think about that. I guess I can even add colors to DB's palette to suit my purposes.

I'm still learning pixel art and I find having a limitation like this makes things go a little smoother for me. At this point anyway. I feel like I can accomplish a SNES style Megaman level with this palette with careful pixeling. You guys are right, actual SNES scenes have more color variation. I'm definitely open to expanding my palette if I potentially have 96 colors to work with. I think I'd like to see how far I can get with DB32 before I start add colors, if I have to.

« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 12:10:52 pm by heyguy »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 11, 2015, 11:06:23 am
I don't think u should stress about making a palette then try to make some tiles that use the palette.
Instead think about the visual theme, how colours are grouped and where your visual priorities lie.
Then just create colours as u need them without going spastic making unnecessary ones.
Once u have a screen full of stuff u can use high level tools like Levels in photoshop to get nice contrast and balance followed by manual tweaking.

I think lots of ppl work something like that process but yeah working off palettes is lots of fun too I just don't do it often

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 11, 2015, 04:16:07 pm

Assorted thoughts and fixes.

My advice:
-Ditch the dither shadows; on modern screens they usually don't do much.
-Compensate for the above with stronger lighting
-Bring more different colours into the whole thing.

Also, spread some of the tiles across different screens. I don't feel that they should all be on one screen like this, although I couldn't tell you why.

Lastly, is this a strict sideview or not? I can't tell from the gradiented floors.
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.