AuthorTopic: Tavern WIP  (Read 3432 times)

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Tavern WIP

on: November 02, 2015, 07:34:06 pm
No time to make a new game so I am working on some updates for a Bastard's Tale.

What do you think about this tavern? Stills feels a little boring to me and bit dark.

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Re: Tavern WIP

Reply #1 on: November 02, 2015, 11:35:01 pm

The building is quite dark. I don't think I have anything to add on colours besides my edit.

Also:

-I don't think buildings in this style generally used stone doorframes.
-The bit between the doorframe and the logs is weird.
-The chimney is too messy.
-The dormers are out of perspective. I think it's mainly the way their sides connect with the roof.
-The shadows from the dormers are quite extreme.
-It's unlikely that a building like this would have windows that close to the corners of the building.
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 03, 2015, 07:41:07 pm
Thanks for the edit and comments BatElite. Picking the correct colours is one of the hardest things for me.

I have made an edit and addressed most of your issues. I kept the door frame since I like the contrast with the stone and wood but it might not be historically accurate.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 01:40:25 am
I pretty much agree with everything BatElite already stated. Except the first one because I really don't know my medieval tavern architecture that well. Good critiques regardless.

I think your tavern sign is looking a little weird. The perspective seems strange compared to the entire thing.  It's facing the wrong way and seems to be going to adifferent vanishing point compared to the building. The shadows cast by the dormers still seem very extreme and very dark.

Another thing, will you add more texture or variation to the roof tiles? I think it would help having leaves, cracks, wooden plank repairs, slightly different coloured tiles, etc to break up the simplicity and repetition.

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 08:10:10 pm
Thanks for the comments Heyguy. I will try to make the roof more interesting.

The reason for the dormers is so big because the sun is quite low. but I will look into it.

And yeah I realise that the sign is wrong. I just wanted to show the sign so the vanishing point is off on that one.

Here is a animated version of the old version. I will update later with a never version.

here is a new version with changed sign, roof, and shades.

« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 09:02:27 pm by jahasaja »

Offline japie81

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 09:56:13 pm
Man that looks awesome.

I like the new roof variations and shadow.
Theres something about the angle of the sign. I think I like the previous angle better.
Also the shadow of the sign looks a little odd on the wood in that last one, maybe its a little too dark or perhaps is might be the shape. At first i thought it looked flat but I'm not sure, this is very nitpicky though.

As I'm looking at it again I think you flipped the sign but didnt change its shadow yet, so thats probably worth fixing

Offline jahasaja

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 03:11:34 pm
Thanks for the kind comments Japie81, Yeah I guess the shadows needs some work. I have issues with the colour count in Photoshop also so I kind of thought I need to fix that first.