AuthorTopic: Low Detail Character Animation, Critique Welcome  (Read 2622 times)

Offline Sandwich

• View Profile

Low Detail Character Animation, Critique Welcome

on: October 30, 2015, 10:02:05 pm
Here are a couple animations of mine. These were done in Game Maker. These are pretty old, so I don't plan on changing them. Thanks for looking, tell me what you think!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2015, 11:48:02 pm by Sandwich »

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: Low Detail Character Animation, Critique Welcome

Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 01:15:18 pm
The last strike on the first animation is especially smooth :) it kind of 'cheapens' the feel of the first two in comparison. imo.

The running animation is too slow... there is no difference between left and right leg, and I guess you got away with that at this resolution :P but in higher resolutions, having a short run cycle with same-looking legs wouldn't pass I think.

The skin color is a bit too pale for my taste... lacks too much saturation in comparison to his clothes. It kind of blends in with the background of this forum, so I can't tell the exact shape of the cluster easily. Change it or not, depending on the BG that it will be displayed over.

Overall, nice job :)

Offline Sandwich

• View Profile

Re: Low Detail Character Animation, Critique Welcome

Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 11:45:25 pm
Thanks!

I'm not really planning on changing these since they're fairly old (I probably should have mentioned that in my original post), but I will definitely try to keep my character movements more consistent in the future.

With the run I was trying to see if I could make a short run cycle look convincing, lol. I can definitely see that it's too slow, though.

I hadn't really thought about the colors too much, I'll keep that in mind for next time!