AuthorTopic: Day/Night detail contrast?  (Read 2555 times)

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Day/Night detail contrast?

on: October 30, 2015, 12:50:36 am
An observation I picked up very quickly as I have been enjoying late-night walks. Particulary through an alleyway behind where I live.

During the daytime, there's plenty of light to make the small details of my surroundings clearly visible. I can see all the rocks, the fallen leaves, the sticks, the occasional patch of grass on the gravel path, and puddles here and there. Trees to the side, and houses lined up.

At night, that same surrounding becomes significantly reduced. I can see a path, but none of the little bits of leaves, sticks and grass. The trees become purely black shapes in the distance. Fields of grass in another location away from artificial light, I can see light and dark patches in a field of grass, but no particular blades of grass visible in the extremely low light.,

And it makes me wonder. Has there ever been an art style that uses a contrast of detailing between daytime and nighttime?

Offline The B.O.B.

• currently losering it up...
    • View Profile

Re: Day/Night detail contrast?

Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 06:11:49 pm
I guess I don't quite understand your question. Do you mean a piece that shows the same scene in two different times of day or a piece showing minimal details in the light/dark? Perhaps you're referring to Chiaroscuro, which focuses on the light/dark contrast within a piece? Maybe you mean something else, I suppose. If it's any of the prior, though, there's plenty of examples of it. Maybe you can give a rough drawing as an example of what you mean, perhaps?
my back hurts...

Offline Pix3M

• View Profile

Re: Day/Night detail contrast?

Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 07:52:55 pm
I mean, an art style that basically does this: