AuthorTopic: [WIP] Ampelkopf Stöp  (Read 8109 times)

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

[WIP] Ampelkopf Stöp

on: September 12, 2006, 04:40:59 am
Hey, this is my first post here. Just wanted to get some C+C on a piece I'm working on:

Behind/below the character there's going to be a monster hiding behind some bushes, and there'll be some more trees in the background. I'm not liking how the tree tops look like sponges with a pencil stuck straight in them, so I'm thinking about adding branches and going into a bit more detail there.
Also, I was wondering whether I should stick a traffic light on his head in a ptoing style ;p
« Last Edit: September 25, 2009, 11:36:01 am by Lawrence »

Offline Faktablad

• grow
    • View Profile
    • Couchpixel

Re: Terrible Anxiety [WIP]

Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 04:26:29 am
I'm not sure what to say about the shading on the UFOs/character.  It doesn't appeal to me as of now.

However, the lighting on the tree trunk is truly righteous.

What you want to do with the tree tops depends on whether you want to go for a more realistic or stylized look.  If realistic, then remember that the leafy portion of trees has a skeleton of branches.  If stylized, then I would suggest adding a few more smaller leafy sponges down the trunk, like

____
(____)
   |_|_
   |(__)
  _|_|
(___)
   |  |
   |  |

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 15, 2006, 10:51:12 pm
Update:

Worked on the left tree a bit and added the preliminary body of the traffic light.

I guess I want to go for a realistic look for the tree tops, so I'll totally redo them, branch by branch, leaf by leaf. Thanks for the tip there.

Offline Kren

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 15, 2006, 11:02:13 pm
really nice work, seems like an M&M going to be eaten up by aliens XD

Offline AlexHW

• View Profile
    • AlexHW

Reply #4 on: September 15, 2006, 11:08:26 pm
lovely ambiance..
The wide angle composition adds alot of character/mood, and i'm sure once you add more to the background between the trees, it'll look even more 3 dimensional.
for some critique, I would suggest adding some reflective light coming off the tops of the trees from the moons.

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 16, 2006, 05:22:05 am
I would get rid of one of the 2 moons, they confused me when i first saw the image. i thought they where eyes or something.

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #6 on: September 16, 2006, 09:16:55 am
God damn, Lawrence. How many times must you be crowned the kind of lighting? Another superb piece.

I like the idea, the detail, and progress so far. Super.

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 16, 2006, 02:15:14 pm
I think you mean king but yeah super rad awesome peice (so far)

Offline Dusty

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 01:13:44 pm
I really like this piece. I'm not sure, but I'm given the impression the sky is supposed to make a face overlooking the guy? If not, then I suggest making the moons a little different, perhaps have one bigger than the other. Also, since the moons are quite a bit away from each other, one would be slightly more into a phase than the other.

But overall, since I see you adding in a third UFO, I don't think this is going to be some big face. I think things are really out of place and some things should be adjusted. The UFOs don't look right directly over the moons. It just seems like there is one of each thing on each side, being piled on top of each other. I think it'd look a lot better if the layout of the scene was changed.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: September 20, 2006, 06:04:46 pm
Well, the two moons were meant to form the eyes of a face in the sky, the massive personification of terror/fear/anxiety, that's the whole concept of this piece, hence the title; the trees and ufos are really just a by-product of that, they were meant to act as sloping "eyelids" for the moons to reflect the same anxious expression as the running character. I guess that wasn't executed well and was confusing, so I've changed it around a bit now and ditched the concept altogether:

I plan to draw the branches of the trees in the foreground with the same "fading out" lighting as the new tree, I just haven't got round to it yet. I have to fix the palette too. I'm thinking of putting a few multi-coloured illuminous objects around the rest of the trees in the background. Alex, I'll remember to put in highlights on the tree tops from the moonlight, thanks for reminding me. :)