AuthorTopic: [WIP] [C+C]Sonic Hack Sprites  (Read 3530 times)

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

[WIP] [C+C]Sonic Hack Sprites

on: October 24, 2015, 01:11:11 am
I'm helping out with the art for sonic game hack but I'm having trouble on this current sprite

essentially i'm trying to draw a snowmobile like contraption of which this particular variation of robotics flying machine sits in

the idea is the boss will fire bombs out the back of it as sonic chases after doges them and attacks..
I am having trouble figuring out how best to do the shape of the vehicle and as such the sprite has gotten away from me.
(and thus looks like a big flat square)
is suspect the cannon I've drawn is a little to big as i used on of the lava reef bosses that also fires out bombs for reference

also due to the way the mega drive works I have a severely limited colour palette, so i'm trying to minimise colour usage as much as i can.

if anyone has any ideas of how the vehicle should look/ be shaped id appreciate the advice..
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:43:53 pm by Linaru »
Linaru Greyfall

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] [C+C]Sonic Boss Sprite

Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 01:16:55 am
Your biggest issue here is perspective.

You are trying to draw a 100 % side-view oriented plane on a figure that is drawn at a roughly 3/4th angle.

Think of things is in boxes and it should help a lot.

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 08:31:34 pm
okay i made a little progress but there was something i miss understood. it seem while there are 2 lines of 15 colours available in the palette any one object can only use colours from a single line..

as a result I have had to move a little bit away from the machine while I rework every other item I had drawn, it also seems will have to rework sonic tails and knuckles sprites a little at some point due to the colours being moved around on the palette

i have ended up focusing on reworking Robotnik him self so he and his flying machine use only line 1 colours. this frees up line 2 draw the vehicle that his flying machine sits into.

I now have 3 possible versions of him, had trouble getting his moustache which was originally brown to fit into line 1's colours.

and also his flying machine(with brown moustached Robotnik that didn't fit in line 1's colours):

i am going to have to spend some time working out a few of the mega drives quirks before i draw the vehicle..
ill post up a newer version of that when I've fixed that..
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 07:38:02 pm by Linaru »
Linaru Greyfall

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 01:49:37 am
after some of editing i've gotten this far:

it is based quite heavily on the sonic 2 drilling car boss in appearance..

it still needs a  cannon on the back and i am not sure how to finish off the back edge of the vehicle, currently its just tapered into a dark black area..
but as the wheels will come off when destroyed it needs something more..
« Last Edit: October 25, 2015, 01:56:22 am by Linaru »
Linaru Greyfall

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 11:51:09 am
shouldn't a snow mobile have tank treads instead of wheels?

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 01:53:10 pm
shouldn't a snow mobile have tank treads instead of wheels?

probably true but it would be allot harder to make tank tracks roll away when you defeat the boss..  i am still not 100% how the mega-drive actually animates allot of objects

« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 12:47:25 am by Linaru »
Linaru Greyfall