AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Need help on improving graphics - Bacon Rebellion  (Read 12415 times)

Offline eishiya

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/28889.htm
    • View Profile
    • Website

Re: [WIP][C+C] Need help on improving graphics - Bacon Rebellion

Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 06:35:37 pm
Is he holding the bow with his mind?

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 07:06:33 pm
Yep, and now with multiple characters that's not changing anymore. :P

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 07:36:04 pm
I think if you tweak the position where the bow is anchored, it'll look more like it's being held in the hand. Even if it's just rotating in a smaller arc around the character's chest, that'll be better than having it so far away from their hands.
Another, probably better, possibility is to also have an arm fixed to the weapon, pivoted on the shoulder. Different arm sprites can be swapped in depending on the character.

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 07:48:36 pm
Yep, i'll definitely tweak it to some amount, but probably won't add those arms as that brings some other problems, for when the bow moves behind the player, then the arm would be out of place.
Anyways, this will be a really small game, and I don't really want to spend too much time on it perfecting it, that was never my intention, besides I've already got way too much features for it than I had planned in the start. :D
It's also still pretty early, and I like to leave little polish things like that for when the main stuff of the game is done. :) So I'll probably start focusing on more important stuff, but thanks for all the suggestions!

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 11:34:02 am
i don't like how the shadows face us.
i want sunlight to be cast more from the front-top and preferrably offset to the left a little (or from right if ur not OCD :lol:)
lighting objects from this angle is more descriptive to the forms and also makes them pop out against their shadowy background.

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #25 on: November 19, 2015, 11:44:55 am
Yep, I understand, but I already talked about this in previous posts, it's not changing. ;)

Offline eishiya

• View Profile
    • Website

Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 02:26:06 pm
How resource-intensive is the shadow-skewing (real-time and on-load pre-skewing)? If you're going to give options anyway, maybe have that one instead of the generic shadows, for people whose computers can handle it, and who are as terribly put off by the vertical shadows as me and the previous commenter are xP It's better to have options between "meh, but fast" and "awesome, but compiter-melting" than between "boring" and "meh" xP Since you fixed a lot of other stuff since starting this thread, the shadows have become the thing holding it back the most, in my opinion - the one stiff, ugly thing in a screen full of cool.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 02:40:24 pm by eishiya »

Offline oxysoft

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 09:07:11 pm
How resource-intensive is the shadow-skewing (real-time and on-load pre-skewing)? If you're going to give options anyway, maybe have that one instead of the generic shadows, for people whose computers can handle it, and who are as terribly put off by the vertical shadows as me and the previous commenter are xP It's better to have options between "meh, but fast" and "awesome, but compiter-melting" than between "boring" and "meh" xP Since you fixed a lot of other stuff since starting this thread, the shadows have become the thing holding it back the most, in my opinion - the one stiff, ugly thing in a screen full of cool.

Depending on how the game is programmed, it could be done such that there is no performance hit at all. Using OpenGL, he could simply shift the bottom row of vertices for a quad and the quad would render skewed without any other complications or even affecting speed at all.

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: November 20, 2015, 03:46:29 pm
Nope, i've tried it many times, and it's not going to happen, sorry. It's just something that the game will have to live without.

Offline IncorrigibleBoozehound

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: November 22, 2015, 06:22:58 pm
I like how the pigs are wearing underwear for some reason. Just enhances the absurdity.