AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Need help on improving graphics - Bacon Rebellion  (Read 12418 times)

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile
Hi guys!

So i've finished my last game, and im making a new one. It's about angry rebellious pigs and a farmer that has to fend off them all basically. :D
It's going to be this really bloody shooter, where massive hordes(hundreds) of pigs come at you and it's just one big, massive blood bath.
This is where I am now with it -

And here are some gifs -

(ingame he's with coloured outlines to help with readability)

Im mostly looking for help on how to improve the character design. I want him to be more interesting and still look like a farmer, but it's really hard to think of anything.
Also, any tips on improving the general look of the game, the tilesets and anything else. All feedback will be appreciated.

Offline oxysoft

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] Need help on improving graphics - Bacon Rebellion

Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 07:53:56 am
First off, I want to say that I really like this. I don't really have time to do any in-depth analysis of the art or whatever since I'm tired and I'm going to bed in a bit but quickly:

1. How about the farmer is an angry redneck? This could add a bit of personality

2. Your bow could be upgraded to a shotgun

3. I'm assuming the beaver would lunge pigs and attack them? I'm not sure what the connection is between a beaver and a farmer but I think it's really funny.

4. A trick I learned from always doing small resolution pixel art with outlines (I swear by outlines) is that if you get rid of them just under the feet of your characters, they will be more connected to the ground. The outlines under the feets give the effect that the sprite is floating off above the ground. I'm almost sure that if you apply this trick to just the farmer and the pigs, the general consistency of the game will already increase dramatically. Of course, this doesn't only apply to "feets" but anything that has an outline and is connected to ground.

Otherwise, I think the colors work really well together but I would try a few changes in contrast, very subtle changes. Maybe up the contrast of the earth just slightly, it could look nice.

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 10:35:48 am
Alright, thanks a lot for the suggestions. I'll be definitely doing that outline feet trick. And yeah, redneck would actually be awesome, let me see if I can make it nicely. ^^ :)  I'll try reworking some stuff and post the new looks soon.

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 08:34:20 pm
Is he supposed to be a dog-man?  He seems to have a snout and a clown nose.  If he is supposed to be a dog-man then I would recommend making the nose black.  If he is supposed to be a man-man then I would recommend giving him a flesh-colored nose and reworking his mouth area.

Offline Theoden

• View Profile
    • My Gallery

Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 08:59:40 am
I really like what I see.
This is off topic but what was your previous game? Do you have a devlog or something that I might check?
Gradual destruction of the tree looks amazing by the way.

Offline coldmage

• Chalkrobot
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 04:42:41 pm
Good luck getting green lit!

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 07:41:44 pm
Hey guys, sorry for not responding for so long, been quite busy on other stuff and didn't get to do a lot on BR either. Anyways, I tried removing the outlines from the feet of the characters and it does really help make them fit into the game more. :) I also recoded the pathfinding for the enemies a little so now they can't stack up in a huge bunch, and I think this is both good in gameplay and in visuals, as now it actually feels a bit more realistic and like the enemies actually hold some weight. There's just something about actually seeing every single one of the enemies, not just 100 stacked up together. :)

I also redid the trees(or should I say the tree) sprite, to make it look a bit less generic. Don't know how it came out and if it actually looks less generic. Here's the old sprite and new ones compared.

@coldmage, thanks. :)

@Theoden, Thanks! The previous game was There Was A Caveman :)

@Glak, Nope, it's supposed to be a human, I was just trying out an artstyle of sorts where I would draw everyone with red noses. :D But I think I'll have to redo the main guy anyway, I want him to stand out a little more. I'll try a redneck of some sorts like already suggested.

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 05:54:20 pm
Ok, I really need help. I've been stuck without developing almost anything the past couple days. Im trying to get a look that I like for the game, but I just can't do it. :| I redrew the previous tileset trying to clean things up, because I thought it looked very 'dirty', and the same for the trees. But it's just not cutting it for me.
I think the grass and trees would be fine, but I really don't know what to do about the dirt. Im now thinking of just ditching it all together, but that would make it a lot emptier. Though not sure that it would matter that much anyway, because the ground will be covered in blood and body parts after a minute of gameplay.
So what do you think? how could I improve it?

Offline TheReaper9456

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 08:13:39 am
Personally, if you want to improve the dirt I would add more texture to it. It's pretty much one solid color right now so it doesn't have much personality to it. And you have a point - the ground will be utterly covered in blood over time...but by that same logic - why put any design into anything? It's like saying "Meh, people won't be in this town forever, no point in taking time in designing it well" Though, I know that's a bit extreme.

However, it's up to you whether you like the clean look of the dirt and grass right now. Personally, I find that it's pretty flat and boring. Adding dark spots, maybe even muddy spots because yknow...pigs <_<...would make it more interesting. The grass could be more interesting by adding more blades of actual grass, which you have spread about, but you could use more.

But even more so than that just grass, dirt, and some trees isn't very interesting. You're a farmer right? Make some hay bales, maybe a farmhouse, picket fence, tractors, etc. These additions would make the environment way more dynamic in the way you have to deal with enemies - such as the possibility of being cornered and will make the player feel like they're in an actually interesting place.

I hope this helps. :S

Offline Theoden

• View Profile
    • My Gallery

Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 08:42:53 am
Forgot to mention that this reminds me"Crimsonland" which is an awesome game.
Did you get inspiration from Cyangmou's Tower57 sprites when making the trees? Somehow the style feels very similar.
The new trees look better now.