AuthorTopic: [WIP] + [C + C] Floating Island  (Read 10160 times)

Offline TheUnknownVar

• View Profile

[WIP] + [C + C] Floating Island

on: October 22, 2015, 02:07:40 am
Hello again everyone,

I just finished up work on this floating island prototype, and would love any critique or comments you might have!
Compared to my last attempt, the rock shading is impressive (This forum has helped a ton!), but I think the grass is lacking a great deal...

Anyhow, let me know what I can do to make it better!

Pic:
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 02:10:33 am by TheUnknownVar »

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP] + [C + C] Floating Island

Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 04:06:22 am
These rocks look amazing :D
I think the top should be a bit flatter, although I like the way it looks it seems a bit weird to me. (Except you want to show some kind of perspective I don't understand)
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline TheUnknownVar

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 02:12:21 pm
These rocks look amazing :D
I think the top should be a bit flatter, although I like the way it looks it seems a bit weird to me. (Except you want to show some kind of perspective I don't understand)

Thanks Putsy! Like I said, the grass is not right. It needs some work!
Below is the original without the annoying grass. Also, it has the shades I was using for grass to the left side.

The perspective I'm going for by the way is a 2d platformer without the added depth of 2.5d pixel art found in games such as Chasm or Frogatto.

Edit: Anyone with some grass experience have some good tips?

« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 03:47:24 pm by TheUnknownVar »

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015, 06:42:56 pm
Well I'm not sure what perspective you want but I tried to make a little edit:

I know my grass is as bad as it could be, but I wanted to know if this is the perspective you are searching for.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2015, 06:45:14 pm by Pusty »
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline TheUnknownVar

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015, 07:24:17 pm
No, not really the perspective I'm going for. Look at http://noelberry.ca/game/skytorn for an example. I'm going for just a standard 2d perspective.
Hopefully shows my exact perspective.

Offline TheUnknownVar

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 12:59:13 pm
Anyone have some C + C or tips on how I can improve the grass?

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 03:03:08 pm
The flat top approach and super straight edges to your rocks are making the entire composition feel very molded like plastic.
Your two highlight colors are extremely bright and in very high contrast with the other colors you are using (which are in themselves very saturated).
Your rockwork is very pointy and unnatural. The way you used the same general shape and flipped it back and forth has left the whole thing feeling fabricated as well.  It doesn't seem natural and there is no feeling of cohesion between the stones.  What is holding them together?

I've made a very quick edit to show you a grass style that might come close to the style of art you are using.  You can use the same general idea.  Flattened out on top sort of approach but suggest that it's still grass on top without it being a smooth plane. Perhaps the center is accustomed to being stepped on.  Flatten out the grass. in the middle.
I also removed your too highlight colors and desaturated the whole thing quite a bit.

The stones still need attention in my opinion.  It's a bit glaring the way they are stacked onto one another.  Redefine the shapes.  Consider the whole thing as a chunk of stone ripped out of somewhere perhaps. Stone doesn't break like that when it does break.  Rather than long smooth edges, you likely would want more of a crumbly look.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline Julito98

• Saludos!
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 11:19:12 pm
Follow carefully that ^ advice, yo can try to use more opaque colors for you floating island, i think it seems more natural  ;). Here an a crappy example:

Offline TheUnknownVar

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 01:38:50 am
Thanks for the advice and responses everyone!  ;D :y: (I appreciate it a lot!)
1. The grass advice is great, but I am going for a grass more similar to the grass posted by Julito98.
2. Your advice makes since, but I guess I am going for a more unnatural rock formation. The color and general "unnatural" shape is intentional.  ;) (Your tips will greatly help me in the future when I want to create normal styled rock though! Thank you for taking the time to post Johasu!)

Julito98, I love your grass! It will give me a great idea to work with... though it may be a while, I can't wait to post an update with a style of grass similar to yours!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 01:42:55 am by TheUnknownVar »

Offline Julito98

• Saludos!
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 03:37:37 am
Thanks for the advice and responses everyone!  ;D :y: (I appreciate it a lot!)
1. The grass advice is great, but I am going for a grass more similar to the grass posted by Julito98.
2. Your advice makes since, but I guess I am going for a more unnatural rock formation. The color and general "unnatural" shape is intentional.  ;) (Your tips will greatly help me in the future when I want to create normal styled rock though! Thank you for taking the time to post Johasu!)

Julito98, I love your grass! It will give me a great idea to work with... though it may be a while, I can't wait to post an update with a style of grass similar to yours!
Great!  :crazy: