AuthorTopic: [C+C] Another attempt [Added shading]  (Read 3504 times)

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

[C+C] Another attempt [Added shading]

on: November 21, 2015, 04:04:00 pm

Can someone edit this sprite to show me all the proportions problems?
Also I am not happy with the head, I want him to look like this but in pixel form:
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 04:54:59 pm by Dnilb »

Offline IncorrigibleBoozehound

• View Profile

Re: [C+C] Another attempt

Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 06:04:41 pm
Not sure if you considered it finished but it could use shading. You might prefer a simple rendition so apologies if that's not your style.

I didn't want to do anything too radical with colors so there's a lot of dithering.

All the colors have midtones and highlights now.

Added two darker skintones for shading.

Made a nose.

Added a pixel to the white of each eye so it looks a little less jagged.

Shaded under eyebrows.

Made the shape of the hood(?) a little more defined.

Feet one pixel "taller". Rounded off the right foot.

Highlighted black areas with the background grey.

The pants could probably be shaped to follow a slightly more dramatic musculature with some ripples added, like a pair of tight jeans (if that's what you're going for). Right now they look a little tube-like.

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 09:02:44 pm
Just wanted to point out that he didnt want it rendered/finished he wanted to know what his errors were before doing that himself.  Plus the dithering is super overkill.

The pants give 'em folds (sorry im a bit too busy right now to do an edit fer yeh but i may later if i have more time.

Other than that great character good improvement from the others that preceded it. :crazy:
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline IncorrigibleBoozehound

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 09:30:09 pm
Just wanted to point out that he didnt want it rendered/finished he wanted to know what his errors were before doing that himself.  Plus the dithering is super overkill.

Got carried away, sorry.

The legs are definitely the weakest part. I would try to differentiate the thickness of the thighs and lower legs slightly, especially that left leg. Right now it's almost the same thickness all the way through. Ditch my dithering and add some folds to the pants like IrresponsibleFreelancer says.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:34:32 pm by IncorrigibleBoozehound »

Offline Dnilb

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 04:54:44 pm
Yeah I wanted to know if proportions and other stuff are on point before moving to shading on my own, but don't worry about it - edit was helpfull.

So here's update of the sprite:
Added shading, changed pants, minor changes to face and other stuff.

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] Another attempt [Added shading]

Reply #5 on: November 24, 2015, 12:20:32 am
Heres Yo edit:

As you can see in the top right i kinda drew what i assume hes doing (in profile)

Some fixes i made were (excluding the gesture which i didnt touch cuz thats a bit too much for a quick edit, especially this late in the game)
-Shortened the torso (torso was super long)
-Lengthened the legs (they felt a bit short only a pixel or two though)
-Changed the yellows (the yellow you were using before especially on the shirt was just playing with fire.  I wouldnt recommend a colour like that.  For one its gross and unnatural, for two its impossible to shade nice ((kinda))
-Fixed arms (broadened shoulders)
-Tried to fix the folds a bit in the pants (didnt worry about shirt) if you look up actual jeans for reference youll see what i was trying to do (assuming those are khakis or jeans of some sort)

I didnt bother with the hair cuz to be honest it was kinda a mess.  Choose your pixels better please (just play with em till theyre pretty ((thats what i do  :P)))  Also the way the hair is shaded is a bit unlike hair.  Not sure how to fix it but maybe better identify the shading on the hair rather than kinda just outlining it like you did a bit.

Nice work/rendering on your thing good character too  :crazy:
« Last Edit: November 24, 2015, 12:22:32 am by IrresponsibleFreelancer »
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline Friend

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: November 24, 2015, 04:31:48 pm
quick dirty edit.   id recommend working on a neutral bg to help with color selection

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 09:00:15 am
I actually like the original yellow a lot. Since that's right in my ballpark, I'll have to remind myself to do an edit when I'm at home.