AuthorTopic: [C+C] 64x64 Umbrella  (Read 3328 times)

Offline j0x

• View Profile

[C+C] 64x64 Umbrella

on: October 17, 2015, 10:49:27 am
Hi there,

This is the first thing I've created, so I was wondering if I could get some comments on what needs work on.

Original Size:

Larger Image:

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Re: [C+C] 64x64 Umbrella

Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 02:27:49 pm
Well I tried to make a little edit but failed to use black haha
And after a long period of just reading and not pixling I just re-realised how bad I am. But I want to show my edit anyways :D

Well your umbrella needs a bit more shading, also some of those clusters need some anti aliasing.
If you don't need the color black I would recommend using something else because there should be some contrast which is hardly possible with gray (or at least I think so).

Note: You don't need to upload a larger one because you can resize it by clicking on an image! :D
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 03:56:49 pm
You don't need to add an enlarged version; In this forum, clicking on an image enlarges it.

-All colours are variants of grey. Adding a little bit of colour tends to help a lot, even if you are going for a grey object.
-It is too dark; Even on the enlarged version I can barely see the difference between the colours.
-The shape appears off. For one thing, we wouldn't see this much of the umbrella's underside.

Also, even though your canvas is 64*64, the umbrella is slightly smaller than 32*32. I don't think that matters much, but it is a bit odd.

I might make an edit later.
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.

Offline j0x

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 05:33:35 pm
Thanks for the help, I'll try using different colors in the future, I'll also take into consideration of my tile size and use that to my advantage.

As of right now, I want to stay away from shading just so I can learn how to do the basics. Nevertheless, I will come back to do something like that in the future.

Thanks to both of you for your advice.

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 05:46:23 pm
As of right now, I want to stay away from shading just so I can learn how to do the basics. Nevertheless, I will come back to do something like that in the future.

alright, whats off in your basics is contrasting.

start out with very few colors, (about 3-5)
make sure that the contrast between the colors is clear and that all colors can get distinguished rather easily
make sure that you use different colors in different parts of your sprite
keep your outlines consistent (outline, no outline, partial outline, but consoistent in how it's applied)

This small edit has some changes, while I haven't particularly changed your drawing
-I used just 3 shades and a stronger contrast between them
-I seperated the outside of the umbrella and the inside (in yours both areas use the same color and therefore it's indistinguishable) that's the big problem I solved
-I used consistent outlines

try to do the same as I did, but with a completely new piece. it can be something really simple and just use 3 up to max. 5 shades as well.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 06:07:14 pm

I just made this edit, so I figured I might as well post it. It's certainly not great either.

I don't really know how much more basic you can get before shading. Maybe construction from shapes, but that doesn't seem like the kind of thing that pixel art is a good medium for.
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.

Offline j0x

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 08:18:03 pm
try to do the same as I did, but with a completely new piece. it can be something really simple and just use 3 up to max. 5 shades as well.

I tried doing this, but I'm not too sure how my results really turned out to be. As of right now, my shapes seem a bit flat, and I still haven't gotten a good contrast between my outlines and main colors. However, I tried to follow what you said; these are my results:

(Only difference is the handle, due to me not knowing if this should have an outline too)

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #7 on: October 18, 2015, 02:47:36 am
Well it's still an umbrelly. I thought you should try a completely new object.

which program are you using?
Depending on the program there might be different tools to play around with colors.
And yeah you are right, your contrast still isn't great.
Maybe stick to grayscale firs, if you don't want to shade? Color always implies that it's shaded.

With outlines the simple thing you have to keep in mind is consistency.

you could solve it by using no outline at the top
or you could solve it by using an outline around the handle

Don't mix up outlines and no outlines in the same sprite. And then just stick with that decision  :)

also those general tips might help you:
http://cyangmou.deviantart.com/art/5-Tips-for-the-Aspiring-Pixel-Artist-457660938
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 18, 2015, 07:04:32 pm
Your new umbrella has strong banding in it, I don't think it's important for you just now but I wanted to note it anyways so
you know what it is and how to avoid it in the future.

Some links I found after googling it so you don't have to do it:
http://pixeljoint.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11299
http://www.pixel.schlet.net/

I hope it helps :D
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]