AuthorTopic: Clockwork  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Clockwork

on: August 28, 2006, 01:11:27 pm
whew, based of a picture in my art book. i would show you but i don't have a scanner that works T_T

7 colours including black and white. I used Niceidiots Metal Ape as a reference while shading (as it had the same look i had trying to get at earlier)
whatdoyathink?

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Re: Clockwork

Reply #1 on: September 11, 2006, 12:38:27 pm
ok... so no one loves me anymore?? its been like 13 days.... il just go into that corner over there.... and you know... die a little...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 11:49:27 pm by Meta|Fox »

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #2 on: September 11, 2006, 01:01:50 pm
When you die, could you clean up the mess?

I really like this piece, slightly rusty looking, nice metalic effect.

Offline Pawige

• View Profile
    • The Noisy Sanctum

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2006, 02:30:09 pm
I would ditch the dithering and outer AA, then make it a bit more colorful (with hue shifting and/or recoloring some parts, and shade the outline, rather than having it black all around.

Offline flaber

• Captain.
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 12, 2006, 05:42:20 am
aiight so lets get this crackin

i agree with pawige. the dithering makes it more rocky looking opposed to metal. yes i know that you want to have a beatdown old metal look, but theres still too much dither for an old metal.
the colours are too bland - it needs abit of hue variation like already mentioned to help set the mood and feel better. Dont AA to the background unless it is the final background of which you always want to keep. But generally try to do inner AA instead of AAing to background.
Now about the design of it..
The face is too plain and generic. Add abit of lifeless-character to it. Just because its a machine doesnt mean it has to look generic.
About the techno-gadgetry... The thing to understand about that is its not all about looking fancy/cool/odd/random machine parts..  Almost think of it as a fancy way of doing up anatomy. wires and cables can be used to represent tendons, ligments, muscles.. metal plates can be solider parts of flesh but jointed to allow for full mobility. any techno design you can come up with though should represent something real-ish. Then once you have accomplished that, then you can throw on added features. Understand your schematics - what wire is going where and why? what connects to what.
So in short summary of what i just said there - machinery should resemble real-ish anatomy, should look like it could function properly, and that eveyrthing seems to have a purpose and not just thrown in there just cause.
also. for the platlets again, they should have a purpose and not just overlap alot unless there is a joint. The platelets are to cover the innards and the wiring from harm, so they dont need to be protected by other ones..

now lets get alittle bit more precise...
- the eye on the right is alittle lower then the one on the left
- the back of the head on the right cuts off too abruptly
- the eye on the left i think may be too long
- dont have just the bubble of the nose.. either include the whole bridge or drop it out completly... Or if you do just have the bubble. Include 2 wires that run up from it, indicating the bridge of the nose
- the cheek on the faceplate should be slightly rounded to give form to the face
-neck might be alittle short
-not a big fan of the different styled shoulders.. personally for things like that, it needs to be more symetrical for such a broad area - or course there can be differences though, just not sure about the different styles
-again set up the plates so that they illustrate the upper torso properly.. defining a chest.. a ribcage (suggestion for ribcage, have thickwires for each rib), then slimming at waist.. llooks like it would stop between there and the hips/legs, so id suggest having a thick wire/cable for the backbone running down.
-where did those back spikes come from??
-dont just place down the plates.. have them interlock to each other with abit of overlapping. have it intereact with the rest of the body and the underlying mechanics...

ohya - for hueshifting i suggest dabbling abit into the greens for some tinges onto the metals...

mmm, thats all i can think of at the moment - there might be more, or i might have gone overkill..

might make an edit for you later
« Last Edit: September 12, 2006, 05:47:38 am by flaber »

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 12, 2006, 01:14:23 pm
ok, ty for the responses. unfortunatly, unlike 13 days ago, i am now swamped with assignment and dont really have the time to edit. but yeah, i agree with most of the points you guys made. I get to it when i can.