AuthorTopic: [C + C]Roguelike 32x32 2d characters (updated again)  (Read 7115 times)

Offline fingas10

• View Profile

[C + C]Roguelike 32x32 2d characters (updated again)

on: October 08, 2015, 05:46:34 pm
Work continues! These are some samples of some characters I am considering using for a space style rogue-like.

Monsters for a stage

Sprite critique would be awesome.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:02:25 am by fingas10 »

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Re: [C + C]Roguelike 32x32 2d characters

Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 03:46:58 am
The styles of the sprites and the landscape don't match.  You should make them match so that you have a unified game.  The landscape is much better so change the sprites.

Offline fingas10

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 04:55:34 am
This doesn't help me much, why don't match? They are not isometric? The art or thematic style? Please give more details.

In the case of thematic style, there will be many planetary landscapes so they are not supposed to match to each. They are essentially invaders on the planet.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 09:38:53 am
I think what Glak means by they don't match is that your using a pure black outline on the characters but not on the world. Style/artistry wise, it's not matching. Remove the black outline and detail the characters similar to the landscape.

This is just me but I'd like to see a large single mountain on one of those tiles instead of the craggy double mountain tile you have currently. That way, you can emphasis the different scales of size. Maybe you can also add a couple of different mountain tiles to reduce the repetition.

Offline fingas10

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 09, 2015, 10:59:10 am
Hmm, I had considered the same thing on the mountains as well. I originally designed it as a double ridge like that to give a clear impression that it was a wall of sorts but it ended up slightly repetitive. Thanks for the tip. The corner walls are a bit of a single mountain now if you notice.

As for the characters having a black outline and the scenery not, I did that on purpose to bring them out from the background. I want them to be easy to spot because they are going to be moving and fighting in tactical combat. As such they need to stand out somewhat from the terrain. Again for the theme, I will have many different terrains so I cant really make characters fit a particular one because then they would still not fit others.

Thanks for the ideas!

Offline fingas10

• View Profile

Re: [C + C]Roguelike 32x32 2d characters (updated)

Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 03:52:20 pm
Anymore feedback?

Offline Cherno

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 07:35:09 pm
The mountain tiles need better (stronger?) shading. They look like cardboard cutouts and not very volumetric.

Offline Johasu

• @johasu232
    • Johasu232
    • View Profile

Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 07:45:47 pm
I would take the tile lines off of the tiles at least on the top.  You could easily superimpose lines into the game when they are required for movement, selecting tiles, etc.  But leave them off of the assets and it would help the piece not seem so board-like.  The board appearance can work in a stylistic sense if you were going for something that looks like a board, but I'm not seeing anything else that implies that is your goal.

Think you will find that when you do that you will likely need to work on the ground segments so they mesh together better.  It's going to be pretty clear that you are using the same tile flipped to the viewers.  A little clean up and variation or smoothing will take that away and your whole atmosphere will be better for it.
Gallery:  http://johasu.deviantart.com/gallery/
Twitter:  @johasu232

Offline fingas10

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 09:31:13 pm
I need the tiles to indicate how far things are going to move. With such small pixel sizes, it would get hard to measure the distance units will move very effectively. I will try it just to see how it looks but I have a feeling It is going to be really hard to measure distances without the tiles.

I agree on the mountains, they need a rework. I will update with better mountains soon.

Here is another sprite of a boss style monster I did for a different level.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 06:26:22 pm by fingas10 »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 12:31:41 am
lose the grid imo.
The grid could instead be drawn in-engine as needed and perhaps with some blend modes as it is just simple lines.