AuthorTopic: [C + C]Roguelike 32x32 2d characters (updated again)  (Read 7178 times)

Offline fingas10

• View Profile

Re: [C + C]Roguelike 32x32 2d characters (updated)

Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 02:19:30 pm
I think I need to add a bit more info for clarification.

The grid pieces will be procedurally generated, meaning that the sand tiles will be selected randomly as open tiles for the particular planet. The mountains will act like walls and will also be generated procedurally to create ravines, rooms, and other various containers. The sample I have provided is just one of nearly endless generations for a map and only part of a larger area it will create.

The space ship buried in the sand and the forge are tiles that the player can interact with, in this case both are used for a "salvage" skill which provides various mechanical parts and rarely tech constructs for use as part of that skill.

Monsters are also generated upon map creation and this is just a sample of what could be made.

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: [C + C]Roguelike 32x32 2d characters (updated again)

Reply #11 on: October 22, 2015, 02:37:49 am
I'm saying I personally don't like how you draw the grid lines into the tiles themselves.
it would be nice to see environments without a hard-coded grid so they look more natural.
The grid lines can then be overlayed by the game engine.
Check out Rainbow Moon gameplay on youtube for example you see the grid overlay appear selectively during battle.

[/spolier]
So yeah that's my preference but if you like the look of the grid lines then up to you.

Offline fingas10

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: October 22, 2015, 01:53:43 pm
Can anyone give me some feedback on my 32x32 sprites?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 07:03:58 am by fingas10 »

Offline fingas10

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: November 03, 2015, 07:04:19 am
 :)

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: November 03, 2015, 01:46:34 pm
-You should probably ditch most of the internal outlines, or colour them. They're not helping readability.

-Rows 3 and 4 are very dark and their torsos are pillow-shaded.

-If the rows are meant to indicate an increasing rank, the differences between most of them are so small that they are not immidiately noticeable.
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.

Offline fingas10

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: November 03, 2015, 05:25:24 pm
thanks for the input. I was thinking of going back and reshading the chest pieces of rows 3 + 4 they were bothering me a bit with the different shading, especially 3. I made them first.

I like the black outlines because these are so small, without them its really hard to seperate armor pieces. They will also make it easier to seperate body parts later if I decide to break them apart for character customization. I wonder how the lines would look very darkly colored though...

Each column is an upgrade the character undergos at certain skill levels. They are supposed to be gradual but build upon the previous level.