AuthorTopic: Archer chick [WIP]  (Read 3683 times)

Offline Ambivorous

• If you can't do; inspire.
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/47949.htm
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Archer chick [WIP]

on: October 03, 2015, 02:24:51 pm
Inspired by some edit I posted I decided to try make an archer to go along with the swordsman in my avatar.

And the two next to each other for comparison:

Obviously the most important thing is that they go well together, both stylistically and thematically (are those the same thing?).
Any opinions on the colours would also be greatly appreciated because I am never happy with the colour palettes I end up making. :P

I might even end up changing the guy in my avatar as well, so any CnC for him would also be welcome.  :y:
* may contain misinformation

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Re: Archer chick [WIP]

Reply #1 on: October 03, 2015, 02:47:30 pm
Low-hanging fruit: the banding in the old character's front boot.

Offline Linaru

• I eat pixels
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 06:18:55 pm
she looks good, though i imagine archery would be quite difficult in a shoulder strap free top :P
Linaru Greyfall

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 03, 2015, 07:52:07 pm
The swordsman doesn't look like a man, he looks like he's 11 years old.  The most obvious thing is that he is missing his facial hair.  He's also the same height as the girl instead of being much taller.  Together these two things, along with the long hair, make him read as a girl or a child.  Notice also that he is very slender.  Healthy men are huskier than healthy women.

Offline Ambivorous

• ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 04, 2015, 09:18:38 am
Low-hanging fruit: the banding in the old character's front boot.
Man you are so right. Pretend you didn't see that!

she looks good, though i imagine archery would be quite difficult in a shoulder strap free top :P
Haha, hush you. It probably is. :P

The swordsman doesn't look like a man, he looks like he's 11 years old.  The most obvious thing is that he is missing his facial hair.  He's also the same height as the girl instead of being much taller.  Together these two things, along with the long hair, make him read as a girl or a child.  Notice also that he is very slender.  Healthy men are huskier than healthy women.
So I'm actually glad you brought this up. Alex (his/her name) is mean to be an androgynous 14 year old, but I refer to him/her as a guy because that's what I imagined, so I'm actually quite glad you read him like you did.  :y:

Alright, so I changed her left shoe and made some outlines. Not sure I'll stick with the outlines though.

Probably just going to use this already since there don't seem to be any glaringly poor problems (based on the responses).

Offline lolzolaura

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart

Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 09:30:02 am
This is me rambling as an archer:

At first glance, I thought the archer looked nice, then I was looking at the pose. Is she supposed to shoot to the right?

With how she is facing, and the other guy, the answer is probably yes.
Then I would say, show her from the front, as the archer is right-handed. (holds the bow with left, pulls the string with right)

How she is currently positioned, she would shoot to the left. When shooting, the arm holding the bow is at a straight angle with the shoulders. This means that the bow would go to the left.

If you want to keep the archer shown from the back and shooting to the right, consider making her lefthanded.

Reference pictures coming later.

Offline Ambivorous

• ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • ambivorous
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 10:01:26 am
Damn, you guys are sharp.

So yes you are 100% correct. If she wanted to shoot to the right she would have to do an about-turn.

The chest guard and quiver are both worn as a right-handed archer would wear them, and she is holding the bow with her left hand and the arrow with her right.
I actually hadn't even considered making her left handed (#righthandmasterrace), though I probably should have in hind-sight. I only wanted her to be facing away and towards the right because of the other guy.

Soooo yeah, I'm pulling the artistic licence card. :-X

Btw, I am also an archer. Glad to see we're representing all over the internet.  :y:

Offline lolzolaura

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart

Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 11:52:03 am
Haha, okay. I can live with artistic license.

If you were to animate it, you can have her step out and turn before shooting. :P