he looks like mine, but I did not use that in anyway I did this all on my own

@Feron: are you saying I'm an n00b?

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Re: chris

Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 04:08:46 pm
I suppose the photo is given as reference for you to improve the you piece.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 04:25:46 pm
Tomster: Feron didn't say you were a n00b. He said you lack a lot of skills and should do different pieces until you get better.

And he's right. This whole piece lacks anatomy, colour study, contrast, etc... Right now you're at the beginning of your artistic journey, and if that qualifies as being a n00b in your book, then yes, you are a n00b.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 04:54:43 pm
he looks like mine, but I did not use that in anyway I did this all on my own

@Feron: are you saying I'm an n00b?

No one said that you ripped it off - it more likely to be a reference to help you.  This further shows you're attitude problem towards critique/help.

N00b:  A newbie (also spelled noob, newb, or n00b in the leetspeak of internet culture) is a to a particular field, the term being commonly used on the internet, where it might refer to new users of a game, a newsgroup, the World Wide Web itself, or an operating system.

All I said was that you are new to pixel-art, if not art in general - I don't know if you are a good painter/sketcher IRL but it would appear that your basic skills have not developed enough.  I suggest you practise the most basic of art skills, sketching, then expand to other mediums.  Pixel-art was created for small sprites and tiles - its not often i see a piece of this size that is amazing.

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 05:23:42 pm
sorry if you took what I zsaid the wrong way to impliy that I have an attitude towards C+C, I don't, I just never get around to impling it, sorry if I sound like a snob or something like that, but I know what a n00b is, I am very good at art, I made my very first (though also very crap) pixel art when I was five they were always james bond fighting someone, lol, I've been doing pixel art (from when I knew it existed) for 'bout a year now

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 05:39:18 pm
If you've been doing it for a year, I suggest you change your learning method. After a year your skill should've matured much more than is evident in this piece. Do you have a portfolio of sorts, so we can compare to your previous work?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 05:44:02 pm
I don't know how old you are tomster, but you definitely lack a lot of basic skills, such as simple perspective and shading. At the moment you are not very good at art at all, objectivly speaking. And I am not saying this to put you down or anything, everyone starts somewhere. From what I see in your picture you clearly need to start proper practise on your fundamentals.

What I suggest is drawing from life, leave pixelart or other digital media alone a bit and come back to it later after you are better in general.
Just take a sketchpad and a pencil and draw what you see, your family, pets, things in your room, outside, houses, trees, whatever you see. And do this alot.
And when you think you are more secure with form and perspective then you should try to take a stab at colour.

Imo pixelart is not a very good artform to start out with. It can be very beneficial when you are already intermediate or advanced at art because it gives you new ideas and approaches to different kinds of art.

Anyway keep it up and don't take things personal or as offensive, people here are very nice in general and all they wanna do is help you with their posts.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 05:53:23 pm
wow your like indigo in your posts, when you post, you post, I don't have a port folio just a little gallery on maj, here is some work is just made (well just finished, started this yesterday)

though this is pretty recent and I dont think I pilllow shaded this (I hope) you can compare this to it (thanks to zeid for the C+C)

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 07:15:46 pm
my advice would be to cut the attitude man, stop acting like you are a blessing to this forum. you cant just expect to be worshipped. if you want c+c ask for it, we will give it to you, and you need to take that c+c and run with it. make something good with it.

and on another note, learn some grammar, and please learn to type at a more appopriate level. its near impossible to read what you write. have a nice day tomster.
alexander