yep a dude called chris here:

C+C please

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile
    • Trevor Dunbar's website

Re: chris

Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 11:11:25 am
pillow-shaded, and the line art doesn't accurately portray the geometry your going for.

tomster 785

Reply #2 on: September 10, 2006, 11:28:37 am
doesn't pillow shade mean shade something to look like a pillow? well unless you get wavy shading on a pillow I didn't pillow shade, and what do you mean by "the line art doesn't accurately portray the geometry your going for."???

Offline Larwick

• Larwick
    • http://www.pixeljoint.com/p/3794.htm
    • View Profile
    • Artstation

Reply #3 on: September 10, 2006, 03:18:32 pm
If i was ever told one of my pieces was pillow shaded and i didn't fully understand what it meant i would have researched it on the internet for about 5 minutes before making embarrassing replies...

I honestly think you should try to improve your general drawing skills before undertaking pixel art such as this. It would make things much easier for you i think.

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 10, 2006, 04:28:16 pm
im going to tell you what i tell nearly everyone: start small, and build up your knowledge of drawing in general before doing something like this.  dont try to work large in pixels untill you are a badass pixel-pusher, or pursue some other method of drawing.
A mistake is a mistake.
The same mistake twice is a bad habit.
The same mistake three or more times is a motif.

Offline AdamAtomic

• natural born medic
    • View Profile
    • Adam Atomic

Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 05:33:36 pm
Put "pillow shading" into google, hit "I Feel Lucky", and it will take you here:

http://www.natomic.com/hosted/marks/mpat/shading.html

His first example of shading is correctly identified as "pillow shading", and it matches your shading style.  He goes on to explain why it is bad, and what can be done to correct it.  While pixel art has a lot of its own rules and weird exceptions, the one thing you definitely DO need to know is the basic rules of 2d art - volume, shadow, color theory, anatomy.  I recommend reading this every night before bed:

http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

I would be careful about rejecting accurate critiques in the future.  If you want to improve, and you DEFINITELY need to improve (we all do!) then you need to do research, practice, read, practice, learn, and practice.  Pixelopolis can help you with some of those things!  Best of luck!

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 11, 2006, 04:47:29 am
I remember you,
I also tried to critque you and help you with re-done examples of your work, but you failed to study them and take in the information I was giving you.
Which is why I don't re-draw things for people anymore as an example, it's a waste of time. They'll either dislike the style you put their artwork in or just ignore you.

Atomic- Very nice links, especially the last one...bookmarked.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 04:53:43 am by Draco9898 »

Offline Skull

• View Profile
    • Viva La Skull

Reply #7 on: September 11, 2006, 09:31:34 am
I'd sort the nose out aswell. Considering the angle we see his face, unless he's a real life Picasso study piece, a front on view, or that anime triangle shadow thing.
Also for the free, the brach he's sitting on should be bigger to take his weight and there's no need for the one below, you'd just swig your legs ect.

You've got an idea, so good luck with that.

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 12, 2006, 03:50:38 pm
(my account was deleted somehow :() aww crap I did try to make it big enouigh to hold his weight just didn't work I gues I think I' have a close idea of how to fix the pillow shading so I will

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #9 on: September 12, 2006, 10:32:29 pm
Go study anatomy of people AND trees first.  Until you have good basic art skills you will never be good at pixel-art, or any other art form either. 

I also think your general attitude towards critique needs improving.

Personally either redraw this paying close attention to the lineart before shading it; or scrap it and start on a small sprite or some tiles.  Until you can manage to create small detailed pieces you will never be able to pull-off something this big with a decent level of quality.

Sorry to sound harsh - but I have seen so many newbies make pieces like this and give up on pixelart altogether because they can't make it look good.  Stick with it - just perfect small pieces first.

Offline Lawrence

• View Profile

Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 04:55:28 am

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 04:02:50 pm
he looks like mine, but I did not use that in anyway I did this all on my own

@Feron: are you saying I'm an n00b?

Offline fil_razorback

• Captain of a ship without a name
    • View Profile
    • Partisan - Tactics Battles

Reply #12 on: September 13, 2006, 04:08:46 pm
I suppose the photo is given as reference for you to improve the you piece.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #13 on: September 13, 2006, 04:25:46 pm
Tomster: Feron didn't say you were a n00b. He said you lack a lot of skills and should do different pieces until you get better.

And he's right. This whole piece lacks anatomy, colour study, contrast, etc... Right now you're at the beginning of your artistic journey, and if that qualifies as being a n00b in your book, then yes, you are a n00b.

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #14 on: September 13, 2006, 04:54:43 pm
he looks like mine, but I did not use that in anyway I did this all on my own

@Feron: are you saying I'm an n00b?

No one said that you ripped it off - it more likely to be a reference to help you.  This further shows you're attitude problem towards critique/help.

N00b:  A newbie (also spelled noob, newb, or n00b in the leetspeak of internet culture) is a to a particular field, the term being commonly used on the internet, where it might refer to new users of a game, a newsgroup, the World Wide Web itself, or an operating system.

All I said was that you are new to pixel-art, if not art in general - I don't know if you are a good painter/sketcher IRL but it would appear that your basic skills have not developed enough.  I suggest you practise the most basic of art skills, sketching, then expand to other mediums.  Pixel-art was created for small sprites and tiles - its not often i see a piece of this size that is amazing.

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 13, 2006, 05:23:42 pm
sorry if you took what I zsaid the wrong way to impliy that I have an attitude towards C+C, I don't, I just never get around to impling it, sorry if I sound like a snob or something like that, but I know what a n00b is, I am very good at art, I made my very first (though also very crap) pixel art when I was five they were always james bond fighting someone, lol, I've been doing pixel art (from when I knew it existed) for 'bout a year now

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #16 on: September 13, 2006, 05:39:18 pm
If you've been doing it for a year, I suggest you change your learning method. After a year your skill should've matured much more than is evident in this piece. Do you have a portfolio of sorts, so we can compare to your previous work?

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #17 on: September 13, 2006, 05:44:02 pm
I don't know how old you are tomster, but you definitely lack a lot of basic skills, such as simple perspective and shading. At the moment you are not very good at art at all, objectivly speaking. And I am not saying this to put you down or anything, everyone starts somewhere. From what I see in your picture you clearly need to start proper practise on your fundamentals.

What I suggest is drawing from life, leave pixelart or other digital media alone a bit and come back to it later after you are better in general.
Just take a sketchpad and a pencil and draw what you see, your family, pets, things in your room, outside, houses, trees, whatever you see. And do this alot.
And when you think you are more secure with form and perspective then you should try to take a stab at colour.

Imo pixelart is not a very good artform to start out with. It can be very beneficial when you are already intermediate or advanced at art because it gives you new ideas and approaches to different kinds of art.

Anyway keep it up and don't take things personal or as offensive, people here are very nice in general and all they wanna do is help you with their posts.
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 13, 2006, 05:53:23 pm
wow your like indigo in your posts, when you post, you post, I don't have a port folio just a little gallery on maj, here is some work is just made (well just finished, started this yesterday)

though this is pretty recent and I dont think I pilllow shaded this (I hope) you can compare this to it (thanks to zeid for the C+C)

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #19 on: September 13, 2006, 07:15:46 pm
my advice would be to cut the attitude man, stop acting like you are a blessing to this forum. you cant just expect to be worshipped. if you want c+c ask for it, we will give it to you, and you need to take that c+c and run with it. make something good with it.

and on another note, learn some grammar, and please learn to type at a more appopriate level. its near impossible to read what you write. have a nice day tomster.
alexander

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #20 on: September 13, 2006, 07:33:31 pm
Did a 20 minute repaint of your reptile, and I don't consider myself as an expert in anatomy (still and always learning),
but it should give you a few clues what's wrong with yours.

How old are you btw?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2006, 07:45:33 pm by ptoing »

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #21 on: September 13, 2006, 08:20:54 pm
@clr: I don't have an attitude, you just read my posts and you assume I do, I listen to C+C so shut up, I do post with grammar aswell, otherwise I would'nt have commars, would I?

@ptoing: I'm 13, thanks for the help, I took what I did from a referance pic on google, on what reptile was originally was going to look like and thats what he looked like (but yours is way better), could you just post the fram of your version so I can take notes and whatnot, because I can barely see what you've done it's like 1 second on each frame, but thanks, that is (from what people on pixel forum) the bestwork I've ever done

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 08:35:53 pm
Please don't cuss at other members. And the sentence where you say you use grammar has a lot of mistakes, so get off your high horse.

Anyway, try getting GraphicsGale (free) or Cosmigo ProMotion. With those tools you can open ptoing's image, and compare the frames... Please note the huge difference in anatomy, shading and contrast. Also note that he uses a dark blue instead of gray. This causes the image to look a lot nicer. Why? Because blue and green are supplementary colours. In fact, orange is another supplementary colour of green, hence why the arms are a little orange. It's small details like these that make images work...

http://www.geocities.com/skulkraken2002/
Look at that tutorial for help and try doing the lessons. The last few lessons cover fighter sprites, something you'll find very interesting since you like to work large...

http://www.humanbalance.net/gale/us/
Here you can download GraphicsGale for free

PS: all members here mean well with you if you show intent to get better. There's TONS to be learned from the fine members here, so look around in the other topics too. Try looking at our challenges section for some fun assignments, and look at how others fullfill them.

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #23 on: September 13, 2006, 09:04:02 pm
Do NOT tell me to shutup, alright. You do not just step into a forum, and tell people to shutup. I have been around for a lot longer than you have so you have no right to talk down to me. Besides, what on earth is a "commar"?

Anyways, I do recommend that you try another pixel program. One that is designed for pixels. I use graphics gale, and it does me wonders. I stand by it, i also like pro-motion alot, i just havent purchased it.
alexander

Offline ptoing

• the_ptoing
    • View Profile

Reply #24 on: September 13, 2006, 09:18:42 pm

Be nice everyone or i have to get the keys.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #25 on: September 13, 2006, 09:25:47 pm
clr: chill please, no flame wars or we'll have to strike you...

Offline Draco9898

• Toucan-tastic.
    • View Profile

Reply #26 on: September 13, 2006, 10:41:57 pm
Hey, chill out.

That's a bit better Tom, keep it up!

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: September 14, 2006, 08:17:12 am
I dont follow, do you mean my reptile is better than my chris bit (the one I posted in the first place)?

and I do have graphics gale, I even payed for it, but I can't use it because I can't find the palette (which sucks, I had to use paint)

thanks ptoing, I'll look at that

@clr: I was telling you to shut up about my attidtude problem that every says I have, it's getting anoying, I do listen to C+C, and a commar is this thing in frnt of all of my sentence parts,

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #28 on: September 14, 2006, 08:24:26 am
I was telling you to shut up about my attidtude problem that every says I have, it's getting anoying,

We are not your dad. Either behave courteously, or leave this forum. Enough's enough already.

Offline CrumbBread

• View Profile

Reply #29 on: September 14, 2006, 01:20:39 pm
http://www.answers.com/main/ntquery?s=commar&gwp=13

Tom, there's nothing blocking you from improvement except for the fact that you won't get over yourself.

Now please hear this: I am personally very interested to see you post a small picture, then make an edit incorporating the suggestions of the peanut gallery, and see how it turns out. It will be time well spent, instead of wasted Defending Your Honor. I think the problem with large pieces is that it's tempting to rush to get them done, and so unless you are willing to put it lots of time, you never get to practice anything but sketchy lineart and basic shading. A smaller piece encourages focus and emphasizes pixel-specific techniques.

Regarding the Chris, from the waist down he looks paper thin (due to that pillow shading) and, in my experience, branches tend to taper from thick to thin, instead of having a wave shape (thick-thin-thick-thin-thick-thin) all the way down their length (except for occasional bumps where sub-branches veer off). I applaud your initial efforts, but I think you can do better at making tree-bark than simply using grey lines. =)

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #30 on: September 14, 2006, 02:55:47 pm
Tom - We have tried to tell you what you need to do to improve.  Seriously big pieces will not help you. 

From all your posts in this thread it is quite obvious you have an attitude problem.

Grow some balls and then come back and accept C&C and try to improve.

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #31 on: September 14, 2006, 03:29:30 pm
I accept C+C (my reptile was critisized by zeid (hasnt posted here yet even though hes a member) and I used was he said) and I have huge balls (had to say that, lol)

Offline Cure

• http://pixeljoint.com/p/2621.htm
    • facebook.com/logantannerart
    • View Profile

Reply #32 on: September 14, 2006, 06:12:09 pm
Then show us your improvements based on the suggestions given here, and stop wasting our time with these childish comments.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/849.htm
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #33 on: September 14, 2006, 07:13:49 pm
@clr: I was telling you to shut up about my attidtude problem that every says I have, it's getting anoying, I do listen to C+C, and a commar is this thing in frnt of all of my sentence parts,

well... this is really bugging me.  I just have to fix this.

translation:
@clr: I was telling you to shut up about my attitude problem that everyone says I have. It's getting annoying. I do listen to C+C, and a comma is the thing after each pause or before a conjuction in my sentences.

Added periods, fixed spelling, etc.  heh, you weren't even using your 'commars' correctly.

As for the piece, I have nothing more to say than what has already been said; which is to start small and take critiques.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2006, 07:25:19 pm by Indigo »

Offline Alex

• clrclrclrclr
    • View Profile

Reply #34 on: September 14, 2006, 08:45:21 pm
ha, i love you dan.
alexander

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #35 on: September 14, 2006, 11:33:51 pm
yeah, it's kinda sad when your grammer needs more critique than your art.  But sorry to go off-topic
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 09:06:03 am by Indigo »

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: September 15, 2006, 02:56:43 am
Im not an art teacher, only interning as one, but i can say from my experience with learning to teach that there is nothing more frustrating to a person who is trying to help someone, than to be attacked.  It's even worse than when a student ignores advice entirely without pausing to consider it.  Im not going to point out all of the strikes you have against you from this thread alone, suffice to say that they are numerous and might be difficult for you to work around as you continue working.

heres my suggestion:

1: folow all of the advice given about drawing regularly and practicing before taking on ambitious pieces.  I've been working with oils for about a year, but that doesnt mean im going to try to be rembrandt van rijn.  dont talk yourself up, no matter how enthusiastic you are about your artistic future.  Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni, Pierre-Auguste Renoir, Albrecht Durer, Pieter Bruegel, Frederic Edwin Church, Winslow Homer, Worthington Whittredge, Jacques-Louis David, these are men who could be considered "very good at art."  When you have permanent installments in the Louvre AND the Metropolitan the way these men and select few others do, you may brag.

2: post your references if you use them, so that people can have as good an understanding of what you are striving for as possible

3: strive to make youself understood in an appropriate manner.  perfect grammar is not necessary, i see it as a bit of a chore really, but you do need to try a little, because if you cannot be understood, then you cannot be assisted in any way

4: remember that, no matter what is being discussed, this forum is at the core a community which exists purely for the benefit of the greater human good and that asks for nothing in return but a minimum level of respect and coutesy.  we all get offended, or nervous, and sometimes feel inturded upon, especially in critiques, but one of the things i know that i have learned here is that the people of this community are good-willed and not in any way malicious and there is absolutely no reason to react to them as such.

5: search for references like the one lawrence posted to help you.  also, look online for traditional drawing tutorials that will help you as well, these are not the best but they do help some.
also, try looking for art classes near where you live.  i dont know where you live, but RISD in Rhode Island, SVA in New York, CCA in the san francisco bay area, and many other schools have fantastic Continuing Education courses for young artists taught by faculty or adjunct professors.  I personally can say that the RISD CE courses and the CCA precollege summer program (which you are still a bit too young for though) are excellently run opportunities to expand your horizons.

best of luck
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 03:06:53 am by Adarias »
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #37 on: September 15, 2006, 03:01:41 am
just a quick warning for everyone...
if you post on his topic, expect some unwelcome feedback.
this kind of thing isnt uncommon from tomster...im as active on other forums as I am here and I generally read a lot of posts...his never change.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 03:23:26 am by Joseph »

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #38 on: September 15, 2006, 03:42:53 am
Change? He's 13 years old. We don't have an age limit here, but that's pushing it. People shouldn't have to do parenting on this forum. If he pushes his luck any further, he'll be banned and that'll be the end of that.

Offline Indigo

• Administrator
  • Artist, Indie Game Dev
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • DanFessler
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

Reply #39 on: September 15, 2006, 05:46:17 am
Quote from: Tomster
I thought I was the youngest at 12!

quoted from another forum in a thread discussing ages of forum members.  Heh. So yeah.  No need to lie about your age here, Tomster

EDIT:
heh, I found this a bit interesting...

statistics of Tomster 785:

Total (registered) posts: 21
Total Number of Comma(r)s: 66
Total Number of Periods: 4

Interesting facts:
1) three of those periods was used in this post:
uhhhmm... glad you like it  ;D

2) the other was used In a smilie face in this post:
the way his eyes are closed makes him look sorta happy, a fighter should not look like ^.^, and really, I thught I was the only one who did that   :'(

3) Not one period was used to end a sentence

This didn't constitute a new off-topic post, so i decided to edit my old one instead.  But yeah, I seriously suggest you learn how to use some periods man.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2006, 09:06:22 am by Indigo »

Offline Meta|Fox

• Im full of candy!
    • View Profile

Reply #40 on: September 15, 2006, 05:55:19 am
I am very good at art, I made my very first (though also very crap) pixel art when I was five they were always james bond fighting someone, lol, I've been doing pixel art (from when I knew it existed) for 'bout a year now

I thought he was 6 :P

Theres a Gremlin in My Computer!

Offline Feron

• Carpe Diem
    • View Profile
    • Pixelheart

Reply #41 on: September 15, 2006, 08:51:43 am
Don't you have to be 13 to be part of an online community?

This kid is far to much trouble than he's worth. 

Offline Dark Rogue

• View Profile

Reply #42 on: September 16, 2006, 02:45:07 am
Quote from: Tomster
and I do have graphics gale, I even payed for it, but I can't use it because I can't find the palette (which sucks, I had to use paint)

Tomster, I thought you said your dad got the code for you. Like, for free. =/

As Craddik already said on Pixel, the legs seem molded into the tree.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2006, 03:01:20 am by Indigo »

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #43 on: September 16, 2006, 09:22:20 am
yeah he did, but I lost the pallette (which sucks... I liked GG), and iksnay on the onay apay ingthay

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #44 on: September 16, 2006, 10:38:22 am
Tomster, just click view->Palette and the palette will be back.

And if you did lie about buying it, that's pathetic, sorry to say so...

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #45 on: September 16, 2006, 10:41:01 am
nah it's not that I've just lost it to the computer somehow

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #46 on: September 16, 2006, 01:46:42 pm
You can't lose a palette to a computer, wtf are you talking about?

What can you or can't you see?

Offline tomster 785

• View Profile

Reply #47 on: September 16, 2006, 01:54:18 pm
cant see it even though I have it ticked so it's annoying

Offline ndchristie

• View Profile

Reply #48 on: September 16, 2006, 02:10:34 pm
you probably managed to drag it off the screen.  scale up your resolution to see if it show up, or see if you can reset locations
A mistake is a mistake.

Offline miascugh

• Schnitzelfiend
    • View Profile

Reply #49 on: September 19, 2006, 10:37:21 pm
Or if anything else fails just reinstall. It's a matter of 5 minutes.

Offline Joseph

• Shut up and pixel.
    • View Profile

Reply #50 on: September 19, 2006, 11:30:39 pm
it would be halarious if he was like 47...

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #51 on: September 19, 2006, 11:53:21 pm
Locked with X-treme prejudice.