AuthorTopic: Is this any good? Please give me any tips you have.  (Read 2387 times)

Offline Daaniz

• View Profile

Is this any good? Please give me any tips you have.

on: September 30, 2015, 08:30:13 pm

http://imgur.com/vACJffO
Were using a tablet is that cheating? And does it look any good?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 08:37:24 pm by Daaniz »

Offline yaomon17

• YaomonKS
    • taiya.sun
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/28472.htm
    • yaomon17
    • valedev
    • playvale
    • View Profile
    • portfolio

Re: Is this any good? Please give me any tips you have.

Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 05:19:43 am
You're going to want the 'i.' in front of the imgur link and add an extension for the image to show up.
Code: [Select]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/vACJffO.png[/img]VVV

As for the image, your request is a bit too general. It is important to potential critics to know what you are drawing for in order for them to know what would be best for the situation. A few general things are to not post an image scaled up as the forum has built in scaling, and it makes for a tiny bit more hassle for people to edit. Using a tablet is perfectly fine and preferred by many artists, though using tools that have automatic anti-aliasing and transparency/alpha channels would probably fit under your definition of "cheating" and would make your pixel art look blurry and less readable. Basically if you do a stroke and it has over 10 colors then it is probably a bad tool to use for pixel art. To improve, you probably would want to focus on one piece at a time. For the knight, there are a lot of wasted colors that will be extremely difficult to tell apart such as the two shades of the shield/weapon or the two of the shoulder pad. you can either increase the contrast or remove one of the colors and use of the the other already used shades to define the form. There is a good contrast between the head and body, along with the hands and feet which make it readable. The plume has some banding on it. I would recommend shifting the lightsource toward the top right so you can define the plume while easily avoiding obvious banding while making the piece look more interesting overall, and I would also suggest adding a specular highlight to the helmet and shield to give the impression of metal.

That would be my own personal opinion on it (yes the knight was downscaled a bit off. The upscaling didn't seem to have kept the aspect ratio so the downscaling didn't go well). I also spread out the arms and legs so the space in between will help them seem less glued to other parts of the body. As for the tree, there are over 200 colors and is pretty difficult to judge as pixel art until that is cleaned up. There are a lot of good tree tutorials out there you can find by searching. Basically, it is a good idea to focus on clusters rather than individual detail, then go back to refine as necessary. Good luck.

Offline Daaniz

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: October 01, 2015, 11:52:14 am
Ohh thans for the help, I think I'm actually gonna change my sprites to look more like yours. I like the way its facing the monitor more

Ok, I bascially copied your face and feather thingy on the head :p sorry but I did the shading all on my own and I really like it
But the hand that's holding the battle axe doesn't look that great. I don't really know how to do it tho
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 12:26:11 pm by Daaniz »

Offline Neophos

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 12:38:25 pm
Think about where the light is coming from.

It's strong enough to give a highlight on the plume, but both the helmet and armor have less highlights? Metal is very reflective, they should have the highlights, not a feather.

Also, your shield has its highlight on the opposite side, and the axe has a single pixel for shading that makes it look like the edge is broken or dented.

Offline Daaniz

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 12:57:30 pm
Ohh yah haha didn't see the thing with the shield nore did I think about the feather thanks. I like the axe that way I feel like it makes it cooler looking, like it's been used all my current weapons are damaged

Is this better?:
Print screened so it might look weird
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 01:09:48 pm by Daaniz »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 01:15:36 pm
For a more complex, but more helpful way of looking at pixel art: pixel art is about exerting pixel-level control. Your tree, for example, doesn't have much pixel-level control, so you either need to switch to a tool that doesn't blur everything, or you need to go in after the fact and clean it up.