AuthorTopic: Plug Character + 8 Directional Run & Idle  (Read 15799 times)

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Re: Plug Character + Palette Help

Reply #20 on: November 03, 2015, 01:52:40 am

still not completely sold on it yet

Offline Atnas

• very daijōbs
    • paintbread
    • paintbread
    • View Profile

Re: Top-down, 8-directional character

Reply #21 on: November 03, 2015, 04:20:17 am

Improvements to the palette, and a character redesign. His head is an electric plug now, let me know if it's readable enough! Would appreciate seeing anyone's own take on it, because I'm not completely satisfied with the plug.

E- made a quick change again:

will update the rest of the angles tomorrow

In my opinion the smaller version was a lot more interesting. The forms were solidly packed together and the construction seemed to lend itself better to movement. Not sure if it's a good time to tell you this after you've spent this much time on the larger version...

Anyway, I'll do an edit when I have more free time but the reason the smaller version worked was that each body part was sectioned off with a part of his design. With the larger version you have a sort of "short sleeves" look which is a u turn where the arms come from the torso, and that can be confusing without a line or color value shift to break things up. The tank top of the old version worked better in this regard.

There was also a lot of charm in the squat head that was lost when making it tall and chibi, though I suppose that's up to taste.

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Re: Top-down, 8-directional character

Reply #22 on: November 03, 2015, 04:44:50 am

Improvements to the palette, and a character redesign. His head is an electric plug now, let me know if it's readable enough! Would appreciate seeing anyone's own take on it, because I'm not completely satisfied with the plug.

E- made a quick change again:

will update the rest of the angles tomorrow

In my opinion the smaller version was a lot more interesting. The forms were solidly packed together and the construction seemed to lend itself better to movement. Not sure if it's a good time to tell you this after you've spent this much time on the larger version...

Anyway, I'll do an edit when I have more free time but the reason the smaller version worked was that each body part was sectioned off with a part of his design. With the larger version you have a sort of "short sleeves" look which is a u turn where the arms come from the torso, and that can be confusing without a line or color value shift to break things up. The tank top of the old version worked better in this regard.

There was also a lot of charm in the squat head that was lost when making it tall and chibi, though I suppose that's up to taste.

For the time being the smaller version may look a bit cleaner, but over time I'm fairly confident the new guy will be superior all across the board. The lower-res version also didn't have a weapon, and it was when I began implementing that when I decided to do a redesign.

It is very true however that the sleeves can be problematic and do not read quite as well as the tank top did for obvious reasons. I'm unsure how many options there are in which to remedy that though.

E-

how's the side views
« Last Edit: November 03, 2015, 08:37:24 am by Kellawgs »

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Re: Plug Character + Palette Help

Reply #23 on: November 05, 2015, 08:46:06 am

probably a pretty rough draft of the shooting angles

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Re: 8 Directional Plug Character (animation in progress)

Reply #24 on: November 06, 2015, 02:46:27 am

working on a little animation now

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Re: 8 Directional Plug Character (animation in progress)

Reply #25 on: November 10, 2015, 06:54:43 am

All movement animations, what do you guys think?

Offline YellowLime

• View Profile
    • Sour Pixels

Re: Plug Character + 8 Directional Run & Idle

Reply #26 on: November 10, 2015, 11:38:18 am
Looks good! :)

The character itself looks very flat in that the side view is noticeably thinner than the front/back view, but that seems to be your intention.

"Back and to the side" view looks a bit odd in that the torso ends at the same height on the closer side and at the farther away side... (also seems intentional, but still looks weird to me)

And the farther away feet end "too late" imo, at least in the running animation, reducing the dimensionality of the character.

I'd like to see a mockup of the character walking in an empty space, so we get to see how the character feels as a whole and transitions from each view :)

Offline MikePixel

• View Profile

Reply #27 on: November 11, 2015, 01:40:18 am
love it!

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Reply #28 on: November 12, 2015, 09:36:20 am

i think im gonna start mocking up some potential enemies, here's one idea featuring what could be a camera shooting polaroids

i'd like the breed it with an animal of some kind, what do you guys think of giving it wings or something

Offline coldmage

• Chalkrobot
    • View Profile

Reply #29 on: November 17, 2015, 12:32:53 am
If you were to breed it with an animal, considering how hard you have worked on the electric/machine feel, I would say you could either give it a metal looking wings, or perhaps add some sort of electric ell type animals too, but hey, that's just my opinion.