AuthorTopic: Plug Character + 8 Directional Run & Idle  (Read 15911 times)

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Plug Character + 8 Directional Run & Idle

on: September 21, 2015, 07:33:46 am
His 8 idle poses right here:

I've started making run animations for him, here's the easiest one for me at his profile view, I'll post the others as I get them made though they'll take more time.

The top of his head will be a separate sprite that always has this sort of radiating effect:

__

Just wanted to start a topic here for me to get some feedback/advice, and so I have a place to continue posting art from this project as I get it all made.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:58:57 am by Kellawgs »

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Re: Top-down, 8-directional character

Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 11:47:06 am
it's not top down.
the w-e walk looks like in a sideview projection.
It would perfectly work in a sideview game, which won't be the case for topdown sprites, because they are seen from above.

In the idle you also keep the browline horizontal, as if the horizon line

A topdown projection of any angle always has a consistent form to it.
The sidwards walk is foreshortened, this means the head is overlapping the ribcage to some extend and the ribcage is seen from above
the feet are place in deeps space, because the plane they are walking on has depth.

Of course you can stylize it to a certain degree to have a good mixture out of 3d correctness and a depiction of what's going on, but your stylization currently is to harsh for the viewing angle of the world and therefore the sprite would feel disconnected

consider this shot from a "topdown" frontview:

look at how the forms overlap.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 01:49:13 am
I appreciate the feedback, though I should mention that by "top-down", what I really am referring to is the 3/4 perspective- and even then, I'm aware it isn't completely accurate to that perspective either. It's sort of a mix between artistic choice (for example, Nuclear Throne's player characters would work fine in a sideview game as well, but it's not) and then of course my general inability to properly design the character from the 'real' angle.

If you could help by providing your own version, that would be really appreciated. It does mean a lot that you'd take the time to help me out even by commenting.

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 08:21:12 am
bumpin with the rest of his animations now:

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 10:23:28 am
Nuclear throne is pretty stylized and the weapon attached to the sprite sorta helps sell the perspective..
The shadows at their feet help a lot too.

But the more realistic you're trying to make it, the more jarring the perspective difference between the sprite and terrain is going to be..
The animation so far looks really good, the sprite is very readable too!

Try putting this into context, draw some simple tiles and see how it looks.
At worst it might look like the character is lying on the ground. But a thin shadow at his feet might help remedy that.

Quick edit:

Perspective doesn't look bad actually.. The shadow does help sell it..
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 10:49:12 am by Seiseki »

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 07:48:20 am
I don't have an issue with sprites this size doing the flat sideview thing. I'm not entirely sure if I like that the head grows and shrinks vertically in some of the animations, but otherwise, it looks top notch, great job.

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 09:01:47 am
I don't have an issue with sprites this size doing the flat sideview thing. I'm not entirely sure if I like that the head grows and shrinks vertically in some of the animations, but otherwise, it looks top notch, great job.

Once the top of his head is put on, that grow-shrink effect won't persist. I'm glad to see that everyone is mostly content with the perspective, because for the most part I am too. Thanks for the comments- right now I think the design of this small project is that you play as this little guy going around inside procedurally generated levels fixing 'dead pixels', while your view of the playing area is limited to your 'line of sight', and there are endless enemy spawns with both passive and aggressive personalities- passive enemies seek out and convert live pixels into more dead ones, and aggressive enemies just seek to kill you. During the run, care packages will drop onto random tiles and have game-altering effects in the favor of either the enemy or the player- determined by who gets to them first. Inbetween levels, you can spend your collected dead pixels for permanent, personal upgrades.

So in other words I'm probably about to make some real boring, generic shit. I'll keep you guys updated.

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 04:56:00 am

Improvements to the palette, and a character redesign. His head is an electric plug now, let me know if it's readable enough! Would appreciate seeing anyone's own take on it, because I'm not completely satisfied with the plug.

E- made a quick change again:

will update the rest of the angles tomorrow
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 07:50:40 am by Kellawgs »

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 04:55:55 am

Decided to put more effort into this particular project, so here's a redesign. I think I need some help cleaning it up, and just the character design in general. Would appreciate any advice.

Will post the angles, and then some animation soon.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 07:36:50 am by Kellawgs »

Offline Kellawgs

• View Profile

Reply #9 on: October 21, 2015, 04:37:13 am

updated with some angles, would appreciate some advice on the design, and some help possibly cleaning it up a bit