AuthorTopic: [WIP][C&C] RPG character walking cycle  (Read 4526 times)

Offline startselect

• startselect__
    • View Profile

[WIP][C&C] RPG character walking cycle

on: September 13, 2015, 09:51:42 pm
A character for a paperdoll system in a game I'm making. Something feels of in all three animations. Hopefully one of you can help me figure it out.

Offline Julito98

• Saludos!
    • View Profile

Re: [WIP][C&C] RPG character walking cycle

Reply #1 on: September 14, 2015, 12:07:57 am
:y: pretty fluid walk cycle  ;D

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 12:12:15 am
This looks very cool.  You have a great base for making some great characters.  There are however a few issues with the walk cycle itself and the characters movements.

The first problem is that the character is landing with there foot completely flat and they are cushioning their foot into the step too much.  Some people will say otherwise but generally we land more on our heels than on the balls of our feet when we walk.  The other problem is that the character is stepping into the step too much in the front.  The way a walk works is that we fall forward a bit and kick our legs out to catch ourselves before we fall.  Therefor the leg should rise when it goes in front at the knee but the foot generally stays rather close to the ground and kick out (leg straight to catch itself ((on the heel)))  Im not sure if youll understand this but in the walk cycle the leg thats about to go forward should make a 4 at the knee and then kick out straight to intercept the ground. 

Other than that it looks very good especially on the front and back.  The only place i could notice it is on the profile  :crazy:

Heres some ref to explain what i mean:
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #3 on: September 14, 2015, 12:17:16 am
Just from a quick glance I get the feeling that he's walking up a ramp or something.
Very fluid but at the same time very stiff walking.

Offline FRAWG

• Ribbit Ribbit
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 02:22:14 am
The chest and shoulders need to move with the arms more. otherwise the animation (as smooth as those arms and legs are moving) still feels stiff. Additionally, head movement in slight left and right turns can do a lot, but due to technical and time limitations it's understandable why it's not usually done in these systems

Offline startselect

• startselect__
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 10:56:50 am
Thanks for the great input, here's the first update!

I've redone the legs of the right walk and the made the shoulders smaller to better match the up/down walks.
The legs are still a bit off in size on certain frames and I haven't started on animating the chest/back more on all three.
Also it kind of feels like the character is walking faster to the right and the up/down walks. Might save those legs and speed them up just a little for the jog/sprint animation and tone down the accentuation on the extreme frames (3 and 7) for the walk.

What do you guys think?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 11:53:56 am
Jogging is a completely different animation.

In a jog/run, there are two states: both feet off the floor / one feet on the floor
Compared to the two walk states: both feet ON the floor / one feet on the floor

Here's an example from years ago:

Offline Shipright

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 03:24:32 am
I am curious as to why you went with the eyebrow to demonstrate body movement. I have some pretty bushy eyebrows but they stay put when I walk.

I'd accentuate the head bod as a whole relative to the body instead and maybe add a forward/backward shift to the shoulders. I say this after hashing out my own walk cycle in the Animation sub forum.