AuthorTopic: Sub-pixel by hand? Silly little experiment.  (Read 13383 times)

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Re: Sub-pixel by hand? Silly little experiment.

Reply #10 on: September 20, 2006, 01:48:05 pm
Please do, as I find it hard to believe anyone developed FOR tv-blur specifically.

Offline goat

• bl33t
    • View Profile

Reply #11 on: September 20, 2006, 05:12:07 pm
Why's that? Pixel art has more direct relation to the quality of the display than any other digital medium since the basic unit of pixel art AND the screen it's being viewed on is the pixel; it's a 1:1 correlation. 

Wtih most of the TV-targeted pixel art you see it appears that the artists have only neglected a few steps of refinement that TV blur obscures, not enhances, but once in a while you see choices made in pixel placement and color selection that are very hard to explain in any other way than intentionally exploiting the TV blur. 

It only makes sense that artists would change up their process to make the end result look good on the intended display, instead of treating it as you would a conventional monitor, which doesn't always result in art that looks crisp and has depth when viewed on a TV. Among other things, the blur causes pixels and colors to bleed together a bit depending on hue and intensity.  It also makes small areas of contrasting pixels such as spot highlights darken due to the light being spread out over a larger area.  It needs to be compensated for somehow.

Anyway, didn't mean to derail this thread, if I have anything else to say I'll address it in the writeup :p
typing ewith fdace

Offline Helm

• View Profile
    • Asides-Bsides

Reply #12 on: September 20, 2006, 05:24:04 pm
I've never seen a sharp developed-for-pc image that didn't look better on TV than what you say are specifically-for-TV-viewing pics. That's my reasoning. Waiting for the writeup.

Offline niceidiot

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 04:54:55 pm
I am sorry to bump such an OLD thread, but I think I know of an instance that is being referred to here, unless I am TOTALLY off base.

It has to do with the CGA palette when outputting to a non RGBI monitor.  Wikipedia explains it better than I do, but do to some crazy dot crawl the designers were able to make colors based on a form of pixel bleeding.

Take a peek. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_Graphics_Adapter

This would seem to be an instance of development specifically for TV output, since having a real monitor would not allow the same effect at all.  Check the Ultima ][ and Kings Quest examples specifically.

Offline Rosse

• ssero
    • bluecrystalrod
    • View Profile

Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 05:01:01 pm
Well, since this thread is on-top, I can share a link Arne posted once in ca.org which describes sub-pixeling perfect

http://www.grc.com/ctwhat.htm

Offline ptoing

• variegated quadrangle arranger
    • the_ptoing
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/2191.htm
    • View Profile
    • Perpetually inactive website

Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 05:27:19 pm
There are no ugly colours, only ugly combinations of colours.

Offline niceidiot

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 06:02:48 pm
Meh, Not an instance of sharpening, but an instance of using the inherent quality of the display device, in this case a CRT TV to create something that is much different from the development display.  As the discussion devolved into creating graphic that are created for and look better on a TV, here is one instance, that is all.

And I am off-base.

Offline smiker

• http://youtube.com/watch?v=cbaRMjlLWng
    • View Profile
    • Smiker's Portal (WIP)

Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 07:52:06 pm
Man... I wish i had an LCD so i could see this...  :-\
me too, since CRT monitors arrage differently and it just looks like nonsense
yeah, but the concept he is trying to stamp in here is just amazing, i had an idea some days ago but like that but haven't experimented it yet...
hehe i've a 19''CRT so i cannot see it either. x X