AuthorTopic: thoughts on RPG tileset?  (Read 3493 times)

Offline computertrash

• knight of time
    • View Profile
    • tumblr

thoughts on RPG tileset?

on: September 13, 2015, 04:27:34 am
here i am, once again, for RPG stuff
i'm making a game that is supposed to be very reminiscent of GBC and NES games, like FF1, Link's Awakening, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, etc

(i'm not the best at mapping (this is all in RPG Maker 2003) but this is just a test map.)
i'm wondering what should be worked on/changed, and also how to make good-looking bushes and trees in this GBC/NES style. thanks.

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Re: thoughts on RPG tileset?

Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 07:37:08 am
I love it. Here are some crits.
Since the rails on the steps have the same shade as the grass, it appears as though they are also parallel to the ground, which makes the bridge between the different heights kind of strange. I would maybe emphasize that the steps are cutting through the cliff.
The bridge I think kind of melts into the water. A simple darker shade would do.
And why not give the shop the same cast shadow as the rest of the features? It looks rather floaty.
The water banks might also be dark gray instead of black.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 07:32:20 am
Very lovely. I think I can see some cast shadow on the houses but the shop still sort of looks kinda floaty. Perhaps you can add some more shadow on the ground cast by the door frame. Or a single darker line of shadow underneath the shop. I'm not sure I agree with Joe about the the steps going up to the next height. It seems clear to me. Maybe you can add a lighter shade in the center and keep the edges by the cliffs a little darker to alleviate what Joe mentions.

Offline computertrash

• knight of time
    • View Profile
    • tumblr

Reply #3 on: September 15, 2015, 04:45:50 am
aw, thanks y'all. i edited some of the tileset now:

i changed the stairs so they stick out more at the bottom. they're more like a laddet than stairs at this point but that's ok. i also made the bottom shadows of the buildings more prominent and changed the bridge side (looks a bit off to me still). there's also two character sprites, Agnar, near the tombstones (i was using them to test out the banking system, haha) and Ash, below the item shop. i kept their sprites nearly the same dimensions as the tileset tiles, though Ash is like 1 pixel taller than every other tile.

i'd like some opinions on the windowskins too!

do they look ok or should they be changed?

Offline DerZocker

• View Profile
    • my dA

Reply #4 on: September 15, 2015, 02:59:10 pm
Looks good so far. The text has a good readability. Just one thing about the menu. I think the space between upper part and the gold counter would look better if it were either black or white instead of the same grey as the windows
This is the part in the system set I mean