AuthorTopic: [WIP][C+C] Caveman riding a Pterodactyl  (Read 3492 times)

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

[WIP][C+C] Caveman riding a Pterodactyl

on: September 11, 2015, 02:45:31 pm
Hello!
So I've started to make a promo picture for my upcoming game. In game at one point you get to ride a pterodactyl, so I was thinking this scene could actually make a cool promo picture.
This is how far I've gotten with it now -

However, im not really liking it. First things first, I know I should give the colours more contrast, and stuff like that, I'll work on it, once I figure out how to do the skin texture of the pterodactyl. That's what's bugging me the most at the moment, I can't really think of a good way to do it. Right now it's just a bunch of random crap everywhere. Also im pretty sure the lightning is kinda off.
Anyways, i'd be glad if someone could give me some pointers looking at it with fresh eyes.

Offline TMT

• View Profile

Re: [WIP][C+C] Caveman riding a Pterodactyl

Reply #1 on: September 11, 2015, 03:21:13 pm
Well the pterodactyl definitely needs to be a bit lighter to contrast with the dark background. As far as the texture goes, I like it so far, but if your not satisfied try looking at pictures of lizard scales. You can be pretty creative and other it though since no one really knows what dinosaur skin looked like for sure. If I see you I'd also move the lighting to the front of its face to highlight it instead of highlighting the back of its head.

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 08:14:59 pm
Thanks for the feedback TMT. I tried making the Ptero a bit lighter and improving the contrast and colours a little. Also moved some of the lihgtning to the front a little, but not sure about how to continue with it. Also redid some of the texture, and added small details. I think it's getting better.
Now I have no idea how im gonna tackle the body though.

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 12, 2015, 02:40:17 pm
Well, I kinda drew the body. It seems alright to me, but Im not quite sure about the stomach thing. And im thinking that I maybe need to improve the colours a little more, to be abit brighter, less saturated and a bit more contrasty.

Offline TMT

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 12, 2015, 03:49:23 pm
I think the body looks great. I agree about the brightness though. A promo picture should really pop and grab peoples attention, and low contrast with dark colors just isn't going to do that. Personally I think the colors in the actual pterodactyl are fine, so maybe just try working on the background?

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 04:34:28 pm
Alright, so some people pointed out that the pteros perspective didn't make much sense, especially the mouth. So I tried fixing that and also tried changing the colours a little to make the ptero pop a bit more.

I'd really appreciate any tips on how to improve it.

Offline PixelPiledriver

• Yo!
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 06:57:37 pm
The backdrop is a little strange.
While I don't mind its ambiguity, many of the shapes directly mirror forms of his head and mouth.
The slant and length of strokes definitely add a sense of action.
But perhaps explore alternative ways of rendering and/or arranging them.

And knowing that it is, we seek what it is... ~ Aristotle, Posterior Analytics, Chapter 1

Offline aamatniekss

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 20, 2015, 06:18:22 pm
The backdrop is a little strange.
While I don't mind its ambiguity, many of the shapes directly mirror forms of his head and mouth.
The slant and length of strokes definitely add a sense of action.
But perhaps explore alternative ways of rendering and/or arranging them.

Alright, thanks for the feedback. Im thinking I'll go with some nice looking clouds for the background. Right now it's just made in 5 mins, to have something, as I want to focus more on the pterodactyl and the caveman first.

I started drawing him, but I don't have very much experience with humans, and anatomy is really hard. I also can't think of a pose, if this would be alright, or maybe I should try to make it a little more epic somehow, like he's holding his club high in the air, and shouting or something like that. And im not sure how to go with the lightning, this is very rough what I have. But I wanted to ask, is the general highlighting and shadows correct? Im having a hard time understanding it, as I can't find any good references, and im drawing it basically by myself.

EDIT: Well, I redid the pose of the caveman a little and textured it a bit more. Im thinking this is better.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 03:40:38 pm by aamatniekss »