AuthorTopic: [C&C] First Female Character  (Read 5192 times)

Offline Luke

• View Profile

[C&C] First Female Character

on: September 10, 2015, 11:02:49 pm
First female character.
Not totally satisfied, I was wondering if I could get some C&C.
Thanks guys.

Offline TMT

• View Profile

Re: [C&C] First Female Character

Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 11:08:46 pm
Its a nice character. I think it could use some more detail on the cloth thing on top of her head though. I can see wrinkles on the sides of it, but the top looks unnatural smooth in my opinion. The arms seem to come out to her sides a bit far too.

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 11:58:27 pm
The perspective is inconsistent.  I can't tell if you are trying for a frontal view or something overhead.

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 01:31:30 am

New one on the right.
Tried to fix perspective issues and the arms. 

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 11, 2015, 02:07:53 am

New one on the right.
Tried to fix perspective issues and the arms.

her arms look broken. There seems a to a really big flaw with the anatomy of her arms. With the way it's shaded now, it looks like her shoulders are rotated all the way around to the point that her triceps are pointed up, but the shoulders aren't forward at all.

EDIT:

Here is an edit I did. See how you can see the pit of her elbow? This makes it look like you are seeing he bicep and the side of her forearm instead of her tricep and the front of her forearm. I also adjusted the highlights and shadows on the shoulders in particular to reflect the same lightsource as the bandana on the top of her head.

NOTE: I am not the greatest pixel artist. I only just started doing this myself, but the flaw in the anatomy was glaring and just looked broken.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 02:41:36 am by RedSuinit »

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 11, 2015, 03:07:27 am

New one on the right.

Thanks for your edit.  I adjusted the shading and added elbow pits.  I wish I could change the general shape of the arms, but unfortunately I'm confined to the outline that's already there.

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile

Reply #6 on: September 11, 2015, 03:20:46 am

New one on the right.

Thanks for your edit.  I adjusted the shading and added elbow pits.  I wish I could change the general shape of the arms, but unfortunately I'm confined to the outline that's already there.

shift the pixel for the pit up one pixel and it will look leaps better. Interesting that you can't change the shape of the arms, what's the reason if you don't mind me asking?

Offline Luke

• View Profile

Reply #7 on: September 11, 2015, 03:30:47 am
Yeah well this sprite is part of a series of sprites I began quite some time ago.  All of the sprites are designed to be modular (legs, torso, head, left arm, right arm) for the sake of animation efficiency and greater variety of customization.  Basically, her arms need to be the same size as the arms of all my other sprites so that she's compatible with all of the animations I've already completed.  It's unfortunate that the arms were created originally for a male sprite.  They look a bit beefy on her, same with the legs.
Thanks so much for your help.

Offline RedSuinit

• View Profile

Reply #8 on: September 11, 2015, 03:44:04 am
Yeah well this sprite is part of a series of sprites I began quite some time ago.  All of the sprites are designed to be modular (legs, torso, head, left arm, right arm) for the sake of animation efficiency and greater variety of customization.  Basically, her arms need to be the same size as the arms of all my other sprites so that she's compatible with all of the animations I've already completed.  It's unfortunate that the arms were created originally for a male sprite.  They look a bit beefy on her, same with the legs.
Thanks so much for your help.

Ah, I see. Best of luck!

Offline lolzolaura

• View Profile
    • My Deviantart

Reply #9 on: September 11, 2015, 01:22:41 pm
While I think that modularity can be a great thing, it doesn't mean that the girl, or boy for that matter, can have shoulders that look veeeery out of place. She seems to have either very wide shoulders, or has them dislodged. If you want to do modular sprites, I think that it actually does improve if you make separate sets for male and female parts.

I don't have an example here at the moment, but you can make modular arms with correct shoulders. Even in real life, arms don't fall straight down on women, they tend to fall a little bit on the diagonal side. RedSuinit's example is more anatomically correct than yours.

Another option you can take, is move the arms closer to the torso. You will have to adjust the shoulders as well to make it fit.

My edit on the right. I moved the arms a pixel closer to the torso, and edited the shoulders a bit to compensate.