AuthorTopic: They played us like a damn fiddle!  (Read 3753 times)

Offline DerZocker

• View Profile
    • my dA

They played us like a damn fiddle!

on: September 10, 2015, 10:23:33 am
I started my own rendition of the (in)famous scene from Ground Zeroes. I know that the shading and anti aliasing is still a bit wonky in some places, and I'm still trying out some things like with the sunglasses but my main problem right now is refining the background. I already experimiented with it in many different ways, but I'm still unable to make it look good. Also still not sure on the colors, maybe something darker, less brownish color would look better?

Also don't worry, I'm gonna to apply the changes on the face to the animation frames later. I also still need to extent his body a bit under the arms, for the animation.

Offline DerZocker

• View Profile
    • my dA

Re: They played us like a damn fiddle!

Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 03:39:37 pm

Finished it! In the meantime I also learned how to animate gifs in Photoshop (Animator alone screwed up the colors) Tell me what you think, and if you have an idea what other MGS scene I could demake, go ahead!

Offline Pusty

• I like cheese
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 13, 2015, 06:14:29 pm
The anti aliasing looks a bit weird , but I don't thinks it's important.
Looks really nice! :D
Just a random hobby gamedev passing by O:
[Ludum Dare][Itch.io]

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 13, 2015, 07:09:59 pm
You're missing Th, D and F phonemes so it doesn't look like he's saying what the text does. You've also got some hardcore banding going on in the background pipes.
I like the lighting and the saturation on the ascot.

Offline heyguy

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 14, 2015, 07:37:15 am
Yah, it doesn't look like he's saying what he should be saying. I agree, lots of banding on the pipes too. I hope you can add more frames and the correct mouth movements! Looks cool though!

Offline DerZocker

• View Profile
    • my dA

Reply #5 on: September 14, 2015, 05:41:22 pm
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'll try to add the frames, though do you now an easier way for the animation composition?
My source file for the single frames looked like this.

Right now I think it the easiest way would be to use the RM2k3, setting Kaz' body and the bg as panorama backdrop, taking the arms as picture overlay animated via a parallel process and doing the mouth ani as battle animation. Afterwards I'd grab the finished animation with Animget. I dunno if anybody understands what I'm talking about, but this way I should have way better timing control than I could ever have with CS6 or Animator.exe and I could actually concentrate on matching the lip movement to the words instead of just doing a simple babble-loop like it's now

As for the bg, I noticed the issue on the steel beams, though I fear they may turn out even jaggier when I try to edit it over again. To be honest, I just used a thick line tool and layered each stroke over another. But I can assure you it wouldn't be noticeable on a CRT. ;) I have my Wuu currently hooked on my old TV and I checked the pic there. While not a perfect rendition there (because of the scaling and higher resolution) it's somehow much more satisfying to look at your pixelart on an oldschool tube as opposed to an LCD. I can only recommend to try it out if you have the possibilty.