AuthorTopic: Help with Non Metallic Shading  (Read 93117 times)

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: Help with Metallic Shading

Reply #30 on: September 17, 2015, 06:00:28 am

A mix of everything cause I'm honestly getting a number of different schools of thought regarding just how much shadow to use.

Pose is at least a definite improvement.

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Re: Help with Non Metallic Shading

Reply #31 on: October 14, 2015, 02:45:14 am

This time it's skin... Albeit I'm a bit more confident in my skin shading than my metallic.

This is intended to be Nisroch, a demon known as the Chief of Cuisine in Hell.  I sort of ran with the idea of Gluttony, so that's why it's got a sewn up mouth on it's stomach in addition to the widened one on the face.  Only other thing of real note is the shoulders have smaller arms that would cut up meat or something and that the skin resembles uncooked chicken.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 07:45:05 am
If you're going for the uncooked chicken look, some sort of subsurface scattering might be fun? It'll allow you to keep the sickly chicken look and still get some interesting light variation in there.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #33 on: October 17, 2015, 01:49:33 am
heh, this is funny. I dont know if you're either channeling him somehow because you like the same stuff as he does or you have been directly influenced by SplatPixel, but it's defintively reminiscent.
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/12647.htm
He's an old user of pixelation, he always did these light skinned doll-like characters. I'm not blaming you of copying or anything like that though, this monster is clearly your own, it's far fatter than anything I remember him doing and I dont think crotch faces or shoulder stingers were something he was into either :p it's just kinda nostalgic to me to see this light skinned doll character, thought you'd dig hearing about splat's work regardless of wether you knew him or not, since it has some similar tastes.

I made a quick search for sickly chicken and by reverse image searching the sickest chicken I saw google suggested "raw whole chicken" as keyword, which yielded this among other things

one big, easy to replicate feature I see is very very pale beige skin, with almost no contents of orange (makes it look alive and healthy), and patches of purple or reddish pink discoloration. Anything more would be simply adding sagging skin, subsurface traslucency like Gil said and other sickly looking features, but that sounds far more complicated, so if I were you I'd go for the easy thing first and then judge how much more I would get from more work intensive detail
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 01:54:38 am by Conceit »

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #34 on: October 17, 2015, 05:06:09 am
If you're going for the uncooked chicken look, some sort of subsurface scattering might be fun? It'll allow you to keep the sickly chicken look and still get some interesting light variation in there.

A quick google of this makes it seem like adding light underneath the skin as if it were somewhat translucent, right?  I'll look into it.

heh, this is funny. I dont know if you're either channeling him somehow because you like the same stuff as he does or you have been directly influenced by SplatPixel, but it's defintively reminiscent.
http://pixeljoint.com/pixelart/12647.htm
He's an old user of pixelation, he always did these light skinned doll-like characters. I'm not blaming you of copying or anything like that though, this monster is clearly your own, it's far fatter than anything I remember him doing and I dont think crotch faces or shoulder stingers were something he was into either :p it's just kinda nostalgic to me to see this light skinned doll character, thought you'd dig hearing about splat's work regardless of wether you knew him or not, since it has some similar tastes.

I made a quick search for sickly chicken and by reverse image searching the sickest chicken I saw google suggested "raw whole chicken" as keyword, which yielded this among other things

one big, easy to replicate feature I see is very very pale beige skin, with almost no contents of orange (makes it look alive and healthy), and patches of purple or reddish pink discoloration. Anything more would be simply adding sagging skin, subsurface traslucency like Gil said and other sickly looking features, but that sounds far more complicated, so if I were you I'd go for the easy thing first and then judge how much more I would get from more work intensive detail

I've appreciated that at least once while exploring the top section of pixeljoint, but yeah, it's just similar ideas, though.  Still cool to see.

I'll try adding discoloration and maybe some more stuff.  The chicken skin was actually more of an afterthought, so I didn't check any references beforehand.

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #35 on: October 17, 2015, 09:21:08 pm
also up the contrast you're still picking colors that are hard to tell apart

Offline Rosier

• View Profile

Reply #36 on: October 19, 2015, 09:44:03 pm

I couldn't figure out how to make the subsurface scattering work, but I upped the contrast a bit, made it paler and added some purple splorches.

Offline CelioHogane

• View Profile

Reply #37 on: October 21, 2015, 08:49:09 pm
hmm, maybe try with a more purple color?

Offline IrresponsibleFreelancer

• Risponstible
    • View Profile

Reply #38 on: October 21, 2015, 08:57:45 pm
I would suggest trying to get the goose bumped flesh of the chicken incorporated.  I think it would look super cool if you did it in a super wide dithering type of way.  I like the design of the character though.  They look super cool. :crazy:
I dont get it done, but when i do its not done.

Offline BatElite

• View Profile

Reply #39 on: October 21, 2015, 10:32:24 pm

I've made some (mostly) colour edits (ending up with the rightmost) with the help of the reference that was posted earlier. I don't really know anything about subsurface scattering either, but at least the creature looks less tasty now.
I can't really tell if it still looks like chicken/skin though.
Quote from: Cure
Well you tried your best.