AuthorTopic: GBC style practice with an game pieces  (Read 2585 times)

Offline Julito98

• Saludos!
    • View Profile

GBC style practice with an game pieces

on: September 06, 2015, 12:05:07 am
Hi people from Pixelation im new here and i am very happy to join in this community full of pixel art lovers, so, recently i decide to start from the beginning practicing with more simple palettes as the GBC one. gimmie your opinions...i apreciate it a lot!  ;D. Thanks for reading

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 12:19:04 am by Julito98 »

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: GBC style practice with an game pieces

Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 02:25:22 am
This is a great start and I can see these working in a GBC title pretty well.

What these sprites need is less detail, to use the small canvas space to their advantage.

Right now they have space marine syndrome, basically all armor on the hero team looks the same. It's pretty hard to distinguish between each character at a glance.
But the detail is the second biggest cause of that, first is probably color identity, right now these go from black to white without a lot of green or red or whichever.

Focus on the big shapes, or clusters as they apply here.
Also use a shadow color other than black as long as it fits into the GBC 15-bit colorspace.
All 3 colors should have value but also have identifiable color properties, see those up there for ideas on how to do that.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 02:31:52 am by pistachio »

Offline Julito98

• Saludos!
    • View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 06, 2015, 03:27:46 am
This is a great start and I can see these working in a GBC title pretty well.

What these sprites need is less detail, to use the small canvas space to their advantage.

Right now they have space marine syndrome, basically all armor on the hero team looks the same. It's pretty hard to distinguish between each character at a glance.
But the detail is the second biggest cause of that, first is probably color identity, right now these go from black to white without a lot of green or red or whichever.

Focus on the big shapes, or clusters as they apply here.
Also use a shadow color other than black as long as it fits into the GBC 15-bit colorspace.
All 3 colors should have value but also have identifiable color properties, see those up there for ideas on how to do that.
Hey man, thanks a lot im gonna modify that part of it soon, i really apreciate it!  :)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 03:31:22 am by Julito98 »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Reply #3 on: September 06, 2015, 06:42:41 am
if everything has the same level of black and white contrast, nothing stands out.
that said, on this screen some of pistachio's edits look a little washed out for the level of priority they should have in terms of gameplay.
great edit otherwise.
also try posting on a background colour that is more balanced instead of bright white, unless its actually a bright white background in the game or smthn,

Offline Julito98

• Saludos!
    • View Profile

Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 11:24:51 am
if everything has the same level of black and white contrast, nothing stands out.
that said, on this screen some of pistachio's edits look a little washed out for the level of priority they should have in terms of gameplay.
great edit otherwise.
also try posting on a background colour that is more balanced instead of bright white, unless its actually a bright white background in the game or smthn,
Ok, thanks man!

Offline Julito98

• Saludos!
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 12:58:53 pm
i steem very much both comments, very detailed and that makes it pretty helpfull, once again...thanks for take your time to help me  ::)