AuthorTopic: First Large Scale Piece  (Read 2243 times)

Offline WabbaJakke

• View Profile

First Large Scale Piece

on: August 31, 2015, 01:10:02 am

Since video game / concept design is what I plan on going to college for next year, I figured it'd be a good idea to start doing pieces that aren't small sprites, and undertake a large project. So I decided on drawing the goblin king from the Hobbit.

Since I've never done this before, I thought the forums would be the best place to go!

Here's the reference image:

And here are my WIPs:

Any C+C would be great!

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Re: First Large Scale Piece

Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 01:26:45 am
The interrelationships are correct, which is great, but the most general dimension is off: he should be taller. Seems squashed right now.
The ear could be smaller and there is a hunch on the back. Facial proportions could afford to be more like so:

Keep going.

Offline WabbaJakke

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 12:44:18 am

fixed the height problem and used a smaller version of the ref as a height guide
fixed other minor problems but probably created many more :lol:
havent worked on the face yet however

Offline Cyangmou

• cyangmou
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/32234.htm
    • cyangmou
    • View Profile
    • Pixwerk Homepage

Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 01:24:42 am
at this size everything you do with pixels has really little to do with what makes pixel art special. Of course it's possible to do pixel art pixel perfect at this resolution too.
However It rather seems to me like you are stuggling with proportions and angles.

Other mediums like pencils or digital painting lend themselves much better to practice angles, proportions and measurements than pixels, where you are always "off" (well not at this res, but at smaller res).
Maybe you should practice measurement and proportions via tons of sketches to be a lo more comfortable with it.

Here we have tons of problems in the spaces which have to do with getting him recognizable, like in the face.
FOrms and depth are also a problem, if you look at the chin and his staff 8skull-hand intersection)

might seems like a ton of tiny things, but all those tiny issues sum up and will cause trouble in the further process to get it right.
"Because the beauty of the human body is that it hasn't a single muscle which doesn't serve its purpose; that there's not a line wasted; that every detail of it fits one idea, the idea of a man and the life of a man."

Dev-Art
Twitter