AuthorTopic: What is best 256 color palette?  (Read 42648 times)

Offline DawnBringer

• View Profile

Re: What is best 256 color palette?

Reply #10 on: September 04, 2015, 06:05:36 pm
Define "Best".

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Reply #11 on: September 04, 2015, 07:14:13 pm
Define "Best".
Go to school! I need people to know how many grays, how much extent these colors are needed, etc. and you don't know what is even best for general use!!!

Offline RAV

• View Profile
    • Blackbox Voxel Tool

Reply #12 on: September 04, 2015, 09:38:42 pm
*sigh* I have an interest in this discussion, and if possible, I'd like it to somehow stay productive and informative.

Piotr is very young and new here. He did try and prepare himself for this though. Now he stumbled a bit. Maybe we can figure a way to keep it cool.

He seems to be looking for a straightforward solution and definite answer. The people that have posted here have a lot of experience with thinking colour spaces and palettes, technically and artistically. And DawnBringer has created general purpose palettes that are useful and popular. This includes a 256c palette. In his method of crafting them there are a lot of considerations. But even he knows there is just so much you can account for. In the end it's particular requirements and taste that dictate what's best. Maybe, if anything, it's a certain set of (sub?)palettes that's "best", together designed to cover a range of specific common applications, at least. Or we can take into account how conveniently the palette can be customized and extended. Can there be a versatile palette "seed" as system palette?

« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 10:59:10 pm by RAV »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 05, 2015, 01:37:17 am
Define "Best".
Go to school! I need people to know how many grays, how much extent these colors are needed, etc. and you don't know what is even best for general use!!!
School won't help you define what palette is 'best'. There isn't such a thing as a universally 'best' 256-color palette, and the reason for that is that 256 colors is so much smaller than the number of colors people can distinguish between.
Like anything else, there are palettes that are 'best' for a specific purpose, and the more specific you can be, the closer you can approach 'best' (selecting colors that suit your application well).
How many greys are needed depends on application; what colors are needed and to what extent depends on application. etc.

If you will not define a specific application for the palette, there is no best palette, not even in theory.
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline Piotr

• View Profile
    • google.pl

Reply #14 on: September 05, 2015, 09:09:57 am
Define "Best".
School won't help you define what palette is 'best'.
He doesn't know about what is anything best. Not only palettes. He just doesn't know meaning of word "best" itself. For DawnBringer, here you go: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Best&defid=5047406 (use definition 1)
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 09:15:19 am by Piotr »

Offline Ai

• finti
    • http://pixeljoint.com/pixels/profile.asp?id=1996
    • finticemo
    • View Profile

Reply #15 on: September 05, 2015, 09:25:11 am
That is not what he was saying. As his post history demonstrates, he is quite capable at using the English language.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 12:51:05 am by Ai »
If you insist on being pessimistic about your own abilities, consider also being pessimistic about the accuracy of that pessimistic judgement.

Offline happymonster

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: September 10, 2015, 06:48:03 pm
It also depends if you want to use the colours with dithering or not. For example a made a 256 colour palette designed for full HSV dithering (via a program) that gives good colour reduction results with a lot of dithering, but wouldn't be great to use without it..

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 11:26:47 am
Piotr don't be a dick.
Especially when you're the one asking for help..

Offline lachrymose

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: September 13, 2015, 12:54:06 pm
@Seiseki: Considering it has been almost 10 days since Piotr has posted, I think your comment is past due in its context and it just feels like you are trying to instigate something.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #19 on: September 14, 2015, 02:05:16 am
I just saw the 'new post' icon, never looked at the date..
Honestly I felt like everyone was just tiptoeing around, which is why I said 'don't be a dick'.

But yeah you're right, I shouldn't have said anything.. :blind:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2015, 05:34:17 pm by Seiseki »