AuthorTopic: Player Character Animations  (Read 36588 times)

Offline Shipright

• View Profile

Re: Player Character Animations

Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 05:41:58 am
Thanks Gil. Yeah I am nitpicking myself to death. On that vein...

When working on the rest of the run directions the right/left was bothering me and I figured out it was the head. I can only turn the body so much without losing all detail but the head  can be completely rotated amd I left it the same as the down right/left and this didn't differentiate things enough. So with that said I tried to rotate the head fully but I am stuck. I can't settle on anything for the right and left.

So above is what I have plus some options I have played with. Everything I do makes it look like a robot. Anyway, does anyone have a preference?

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 02:15:57 pm
First or second probably works best. Clusters seem a bit better on the first, I'd go with that.

Offline Shipright

• View Profile

Reply #12 on: September 28, 2015, 07:11:18 pm
So I shifted focus a bit so there is something else in world to compare things to perspective wise. Ended up with this guy!

Offline Shipright

• View Profile

Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 06:45:15 am
More progress...

Offline Shipright

• View Profile

Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 03:57:29 am
And the walk cycle. Well, hop cycle for this guy anyway...

And a death. I didn't think it was necessary to do eight direction death animations so there will just be this one for S-->NE, and a mirror for N-->SW.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 04:20:24 am by Shipright »

Offline Conzeit

• Camus
    • conzeit
    • View Profile
    • CONZEIT

Reply #15 on: October 05, 2015, 08:53:20 pm
shouldnt the bunny belly be 2 pixels wide when he lies down dead? it kinda looks like he was made of paper all along and flattened or something

hadnt really replied cause you seem to be going pretty strong, nice style and solid animations dont wanna nitpick too much and take that rythm out of ya

Offline Shipright

• View Profile

Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 01:45:40 am
The idea was to show a bit of perspective as he is falling away from the camera. So in a sense he is falling down like a billboard but can't have him be as thick as when he is standing upright.

Thank you for the kind words. And please point out anything you see. I may not agree or take it onboard but knowing how others see things is a great help.

Offline Gil

• Too square to be hip
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/475.htm
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio

Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 11:46:07 am
I agree with Conceit, I think most people aren't answering because this is just solid good. Nothing yet that draws a crowd, but nothing wrong that draws people to help out. It's an unfortunate thing we've noticed before on the site. So, don't fear, we're all watching this and going "good job", this just isn't the forum where you just post "good job" posts :)

In any case, good job ;)

Offline Shipright

• View Profile

Reply #18 on: October 15, 2015, 06:11:27 am
Thank you for the kind words!

Working on a deer.

With larger animals I have found you can't spitball anatomy as much. This ended up bigger than I wanted so it will probably become a moose. I was going for the European fallow deer. I need to shave two pixels off the height and shorten the length a bit. I like the shape for realism but I will probably stylize it a bit to fit with the other sprites.

In any case I hope that by having the anatomy incorporated from the beginning I can speed up animation.

Offline Shipright

• View Profile

Reply #19 on: October 24, 2015, 07:06:38 pm
So I was able to set some time aside this weekend to further refine the deer:

What do you think? I feel I have the size just right based on my sources.