AuthorTopic: [WIP] Grass and dirt texture  (Read 4251 times)

Offline fumirei

• View Profile

[WIP] Grass and dirt texture

on: August 30, 2015, 04:17:06 am
Hello everyone!

This is some tiles that I just made. I'd love to have some advice or some critics about these tiles and how do I improve this?

Offline AimlessZealot

• View Profile

Re: [WIP] Grass and dirt texture

Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 03:29:16 pm
I want to begin by saying that I love the feel and the palette of this set.

That said, my personal advice here is as follows:

Less is more when it comes to suggesting grass and dirt. The grass's level of detail and personality is very dense compared to the dirt next to it. I think you're trying to pack way too much visual information into each tile in an attempt to make it more "real". You may either want to:
1) reduce the contrast between lit and dull grass sections to make it smoother, as well as adding more texture to the dirt to make it equally visually interesting

OR

2) Simplify the grass or change it to a more suggestive design so that it is no longer being "framed" by the dirt like it is in your current scene.

Here is an example of each:

This is Seiken Densetsu 3, one of the games that many a pixel artist feels represents the ideal in lush tile-based worlds. Note they have a very dense grass pattern but they keep the shades closer to each other so that the eye slides easily over the detail where yours is such a bright/dark contrast that it urges the eye to stop and examine the details.

This is Mother 3 and it attempts the exact opposite : incredibly simplified tiles that use darker green grass blade symbols sprinkled into the light green to suggest the presence of grass. You know grass looks nothing like that, but it's so simplified that we accept it as a symbol and it helps us focus on the characters within the scene.

Your grass currently is closer to Seiken Densetsu 3 while your dirt is closer to Mother 3.

Hope that helps,
Great work and good luck!

Offline fumirei

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 12:45:34 pm
Thank you for the feedback that's really helpfull. Here is the update. I added the dirt texture and reducing it's contrast

Offline Glak

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 01:33:26 pm
Get rid of the shadows on your rocks.  Rocks don't sit on the ground, they are in the ground.  This means that they get wider and wider as they touch the ground, and thus any shadow that they cast falls on the rock itself.

Offline Parkerbaby

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 02:02:18 pm
Get rid of the shadows on your rocks.  Rocks don't sit on the ground, they are in the ground.  This means that they get wider and wider as they touch the ground, and thus any shadow that they cast falls on the rock itself.

I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Offline NaCl

• When it rains it pours
    • View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 08:15:47 pm
This is looking fantastic. Great palette, though I would like to see what the characters look like against it.

One thing that may improve it, would be to vary the detail density of different tiles. Currently, all the grass tiles have the same amount of detail. If you have some with less detail, it will help break up the monotony, and also help emphasize any patches with greater detail. In the Seiken Densetsu screenshot, you can see the dark short grass has some tiles with just background grass, and some with larger more apparent patches. Then, that is further punctuated with the high saturation patches of long grass.