AuthorTopic: Pixel animation! YAY!  (Read 3267 times)

Offline valdimer

• View Profile

Pixel animation! YAY!

on: August 30, 2015, 02:24:20 am
So I posted this in pixel art and I apologize for posting this in the wrong section.  However I need a critique and I wonder why this animation is not fluid?

Offline pistachio

• Mostly lurking
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/125138.htm
    • View Profile

Re: Pixel animation! YAY!

Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 02:59:22 am
It's not fluid because there's no path of movement, no continuity. What you get then is a lot of jitters or inconsistent-looking framerates (from held frames).

The head of the sprite has a motion path, up/down (but has held frames) but the fire looks blocked in without structure or hierarchy. You basically winged it. It looks OK in individual frames, but you put it together and it spazzes out. Making it fluid is what animation's all about.

Check out this post about animating fire, study these examples.
Block out motion and all that with a large brush, do a hell of a lot of frame flipping to check if the base motion is correct before moving on to details.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 03:12:59 am by pistachio »

Offline valdimer

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 03:15:27 am
Sweet dude! Thanks for the input I'll take a look and adjust accordingly!

Offline CelioHogane

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 10:55:41 am
One thing you could do for testing is move the first frames of the animation to the end, you could compare better the loop of your animations.

Offline valdimer

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 06:50:50 pm
   So I did a little touching up on the flames.  It's not quite there yet I know, but I think it does look better.  Or maybe I'm on crack, what do you think? :P Anyways I decided I'm not doing the flames on the bottom because it seems like it's just too much, although now i'm not sure what to do with it there.  I'll keep working on it, thanks for the feedback so far!

Offline valdimer

• View Profile

Reply #5 on: September 01, 2015, 12:23:37 am
So I did some more refinement and adjustment.  I hope it doesn't look as chaotic as it did.  This is my first time trying to tackle pixel art and pixel animation and boy, it isn't as easy as it looks :P  Let me know what you think.  Is it better?