AuthorTopic: (C&C) Graveyard in the Night  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Berkay

• View Profile

(C&C) Graveyard in the Night

on: August 28, 2015, 07:27:52 am

I'm a noob pixel artist so I'd really like feedback, tips, or suggestions. :)
The stars will be animated, by the way.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:36:26 am by Berkay »

Offline Decroded

• Oh hai
    • View Profile

Re: (C&C) Graveyard in the Night

Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 10:47:04 am
There's so much more u can do with this simple style.
main thing is we need more depth here.
u have 2 layers which r nicely separated but then suddenly there's nothing but sky.
for example u could have that midground layer make more hills instead of just a few props poking off the foreground layer.
behind that u can have another layer with a spooky church or one of those big grave tomb things with a crow sitting on it...whatever.
the bottom of the scene is crying for whisps of mist IMO.

don't understand the lines between the stars but yeah viewing on my phone the AA dark green pixels has made some chunky clusters u want to smooth out.

moon is rendered oddly as if its a ball that is floating inside the atmosphere instead of something way off in space.
if it doesn't interfere with ur theme, it would be interesting to have some clouds up the top which get lit by the moon.
I'm not a fan of the mixed dithering in the sky gradient but I like the simple dithering of the glow around the moon.
This technique can be used to make wavy lines to break up the sky gradient to give a nice impression of clouds.
I don't have any great examples handy but if u look at top right corner of this image it gives u a bit of an idea of a very simple application (don't read into it too much it was just a quick edit of someone's thing from ages ago)...

Offline Berkay

• View Profile

Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 08:52:41 pm
Wow! I'm impressed by how detailed your feedback is. I can't thank you enough for that, you explained it really well and your points are valid. Thank you so much.
I tried to do what you wanted (except for the spooky churches and stuff thing - I don't have enough colors for that and I have limited colors) :

What do you think now?
By the way, I know that the mist boosts the color count, but I have technical reasons for that so no need to worry! :)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 09:01:35 pm by Berkay »

Offline Drazelic

• View Profile

Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 03:30:23 am

Your approach to the moon is a bit confusing! Why use a three-color ramp when you've got at least six colors in the area? You use a bunch of colors only for antialiasing and you could do so much more with them to show a gradual burnoff of the light!

The style doesn't fit the simplicity you've got going on, I'm aware, but the principle is there, I think.

Offline Berkay

• View Profile

Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 03:04:11 pm
Oh, I see. And you're right, it does look much better!

I'm pretty happy with this at the moment - but any feedback, suggestions, and tips are always welcome!