AuthorTopic: City location  (Read 2697 times)

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26848.htm
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

City location

on: September 28, 2015, 04:05:56 pm

This is transition location between the start (at the bottom) and the city (on the left):

Therefore I painted the city in the distance, in blue haze (just clasped buildings color from the next location and color of castle's haze from the start) and left a piece of the sky from the previous location. I asking about the array of houses - whether it is not too laconic and simple? And whether it is not too different from the style of buildings from next screen? What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 04:08:07 pm by winged doom »

Offline Joe

• View Profile

Re: City location

Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 08:58:35 pm
I think it's good that it's simple. It doesn't transition as well as it could because the architecture's different, an easy fix would be to add the middle border you have in the city.

Offline Seiseki

• Starmancer
    • OminuxGames
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/35207.htm
    • StarmancerGame
    • View Profile
    • Starmancer Patreon

Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 06:25:12 am
It looks really good, despite being simple.
I think some more interesting depth and layering with the buildings could take it a step further though.
You could push the silhouette further too with chimneys, balconies, architectural details.

I'm really loving the shading in the street scene!
But I think you could convey depth/perspective more if you didn't just use straight angles.

I did a quick something, but I overdid it with details, some of it works, some does not.

Offline winged doom

• rt8vr8ttr
    • http://pixeljoint.com/p/26848.htm
    • 08--n7r6-7984
    • r6-4aw3-b
    • 08.n7r6.7984
    • View Profile
    • @

Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 05:08:54 pm
I think it's good that it's simple. It doesn't transition as well as it could because the architecture's different, an easy fix would be to add the middle border you have in the city.

I agree with that. But now, looking at Seiseki's edit, I realized the real problem with this work. Its elements are too square, while the graphics of game is very soft and rich many transitions. And this contrast causes dissonance. I realized how I can fix the problem. I'll try to develop your idea.

It looks really good, despite being simple.
I think some more interesting depth and layering with the buildings could take it a step further though.
You could push the silhouette further too with chimneys, balconies, architectural details.

I'm really loving the shading in the street scene!
But I think you could convey depth/perspective more if you didn't just use straight angles.

Awesome edit! As i say to Joe, looking on it I realized how I can fix the problem. I'll try to develop your idea, especially with not straight angles, thank you!